View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
taubele
Super Moderator

Cassie! Good luck with these next busy weeks!!

Here's a really simple family recipe for a Hungarian goulash that I got from my grandmother It can be fancied up (or spiced up) if you like or just made as-is!

Prep Time: 5-20 minutes, depending
Cook time: 8-10 hours
Total Time: 8-10 1/2 hours
Yield: Serves 6-8

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs. lean stew meat
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 8 oz. can of tomatoes (I usually use a low-sodium canned tomato if I can find it, or roasted tomato with garlic already added in)
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
dash of thyme
1/4 cup of water
Optional: 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced (If I use canned tomatoes with garlic already added I skip this step)

Cook's note: My grandmother doesn't saute her onions/garlic (if added) beforehand and just throws everything in the pot. My aunt sautes the onions before until lightly brown in olive oil, then adds garlic and sautes for 1-2 minutes longer before adding. I think both taste delicious. I tend to go the lazy route, but YMMV

Directions

Combine all ingredients. Cook on low all day (8-10 hours depending on the heat of your pot. I have a newer pot and 8 hours is fine.).

Just before serving, turn on high and mix in 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of corn starch to goulash to thicken. Mix well and cook on high for another 5 minutes or so.

Usually served over noodles or rice. I find whole-wheat noodles taste great with it.

Freezes great for leftovers!!!!
Weight 10/22/14 = 175.0 (net: -40.2)
Last mini-goal: 175 lbs. REACHED 10/22/14 --REWARD: New wallet
Current min-goal: 170 lbs.
Next large goal: 165 lbs. by 12/25/2014
Lowest weight: 156.7 lbs.
150.2 lbs. <--- Official "Healthy BMI" weight
Estimated final goal: 130-140 lbs.
"You don't have to change your life today. You only need to change your day today."
taubele is offline   Reply With Quote