Community
Notices

How can I calm down cravings?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Bottom line: "Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions"

Until one transitions into this way of thinking, rewires the way one thinks about food, there will always be a struggle with "cravings".

FYI, I'm not 'there' yet, but I'm well on the way. 51 years of habitually eating poorly cannot be overcome overnight.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by whatevsk
Another option is, really think about your craving, and find out if there is a healthier solution to it.
Originally Posted by frenchhen3
What I did is I found a new food, or new food combo that is "good for you" that you just get the crazy cravings for! Presently for me, it is pickled banana peppers. I love them on chicken breasts, salad, eggs... Before that, it was avocado tomato sandwiches. Find you new crazy good for you craving! Loaded with flavor and goodness!

Great advice! This is what I do and it WORKS. I've substituted "Zesty Peas" (my recipe) for spaghetti. I've substituted a sweet potato with nonfat sour cream for pizza.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-09-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino

Until one transitions into this way of thinking, rewires the way one thinks about food, there will always be a struggle with "cravings".
yeah i've been in a pretty great mood this week and i find that being in a good mood i don't go all crazy with my cravings for junk food
Old 02-10-2012, 06:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by yunalee
if only there was 0 cal pizza and ice cream, chips with no salt but still tasted the same.

soda not full of sugar

sadly it doesn't work that way darn

There is soda not full of sugar. It has sweeteners in it.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Rubystars
There is soda not full of sugar. It has sweeteners in it.
yeah but i alway hear deit pop is just as bad as the regular stuff.

as for other things i rediscovered for a tasty snack that i love, it's an apple (one that isn't sour, like golden del, gala) just cut up into slices and a tbsp of peanut butter. i use a kinfe to spread on alittle bit of the peanut butter onto a slice of apple and it's like heaven mmm so tastey
Old 02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by yunalee
yeah but i alway hear deit pop is just as bad as the regular stuff.
Not as far as gaining weight. I also don't think sweeteners are any more unhealthy than the corn syrup or sugar of the regular version, and acid levels are the same too. The only real difference i can see is that one has tons of calories and one doesn't, so yes there is an alternative to soda.

I only wish there were the same options for savory foods that there are for sweet foods. You can get artificially sweetened pies, ice cream, lemonade, soda, you name it, but when it comes to things like a big plateful of pizza or beef enchiladas with cheese there are no viable, similar tasting alternatives.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Hi everyone - I am fairly new to FitDay, and so far I love it! What I have found that really helps with my cravings is to pre-enter all the food that I plan to eat for the day so I can see the total calories. The food I am craving gets entered also. Then I start subtracting items until I am down to my daily calorie goal. If I really want to indulge that craving it's okay, I just have to give up something else.

PS - I just logged the doughnut I grabbed from the Friday am office snack table (love/hate relationship with that table), I have 317 calories to cut out of lunch/dinner now... sigh
Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

Donuts are one sweet food I haven't seen a low calorie version of

If you can tolerate the fiber, the Fiber one 90 calorie brownies are pretty tasty.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:59 PM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your progress so far. I know you may not want to hear this but drink more water to the point it make you fill bloated, then see how much you still crave your treat. I too have a problem with cravings and what helps me the most is tracking/journaling. Once I see how much I have consumed, it helps me to ration out what I am craving.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 PM
FitDay Member

I have a huuuuge sweet tooth! I love chocolate big time, but obviously I cant be eating chocolate bars all the time anymore. I've been drinking a chocolate slim fast shake most days and it really helps to keep me from craving sweets the rest of the day.

I also find that if, every once in a while, I work a treat into my daily allotted calories, I can enjoy that treat without that feeling of shame you get from getting off track.

I can't say how it will be for you, but as i'm starting to see progress, and can really visualize my goals coming to life soon, my priorities shift into place and its getting a lot easier! This all is coming from a girl who one month ago though she had no self control at all when it came to food