Notices

Jumping Jacks?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default Jumping Jacks?

Okay, I have two problems with jumping jacks.

#1: My chest. When I jump, my boobs bounce so hard that it makes my lungs expel air in little puffs completely seperate from my actual breathing. My husband could hear it today from 10 feet away, and when I tried to stop doing it by closing my mouth, it made me squeak instead. I sounded completely insane. Any tips on a bra that will REALLY hold the gals in place during high intensity workouts (things that involve jumping/running/kickboxing)? I have tried numerous sports bras and nothing seems to work.

#2: My bladder. Um...When I jump up and down, especially when I have to move my feet apart during the jumping, I leak. Like a sieve. It's not cool, it's not fun, and I want it to stop. I do kegels ALL THE DANGED TIME and I actually read somewhere recently that kegels may actually make the problem worse (?!??!). Any other ideas? Please? I don't want to have to wear diapers to work out!

I'm doing a workout regimen that has me do jumping jacks almost every day and I'm not sure I can keep up with it, but I *really* like the pacing and the amount of workout each day. If all else fails, maybe someone can suggest a replacement exercise that won't give me these issues? :/
Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 PM
FitDay Member

I'm a rather well endowed female as well and also really struggled with finding a good sports bra. What I ended up doing is wearing 2, my regular bolder holder which is a sort of heavy duty under wire affair, and then over that a heavy duty Hane's racer back (looks like an X across the back), it's a bit of a struggle to get on, but it adds quite a good squash factor to the situation. I also found a Rebok version that's pretty similar and it works just as well.

On the other issue I can highly recommend cranberry juice. If you don't already include it in your daily diet, you might give it a try. That little leaking problem can actually indicate that you have the beginnings of a bladder infection, since we carry the bacteria that causes bladder infections in our systems all the time you can exist at the brink of infection for the entirety of your life and one symptom of that is leaking. My grandmother was wearing Depends every day thinking she needed surgery and then she drank some cranberry punch at a social function. She didn't have a single incident for the next 2 days. So she bought herself a bottle of cranberry cocktail to see if it helped. These days she won't touch her first cup of coffee until she's had her 6 oz of cran-ras. Personally I don't care for the taste of cranberry juice, so I buy the mixed versions, I think cran-cherry is my favorite. Anyway my husband and I have 3 girls, so at least once/week I put cranberries in the kids lunchboxes, because the dried ones are almost as effective as the juice. And usually over the weekends I'll make breakfast with cranberries in it, pumpkin cranberry pecan muffins are AWESOME. Another way to get cranberries into your life is jello, mix a box of sugar free cranberry jello (orange, cherry, raspberry also work well) with one cup of hot water and 1 cup of cranberry juice, for a very light treat with side benefits. Believe me when we were in potty training mode with the girls, cranberries were the difference between a "good" day and a "rough" one.

Last edited by almeeker; 02-23-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
FitDay Member

Have you ever tried aqua fit type classes? Deep water aerobics? Or water jogging? You can do these either in a shallow pool or deep pool suspended with foam "ankle buoys" and waist buoys. I work up quite a cardio session and the water is kinder to my upper-half and the buoyancy also protects the jostling of the inner organs to perhaps aid in your other uncomfortable situation.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

I can't do jumping jacks because of the pee problem. As for the bra... Have you tried the Enel? It held my G girls in place (back when they were that big due to breastfeeding) with no moving at all while jogging!