Community
Notices

Stopping smoking

Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default Stopping smoking

Hello all,

I am new to this site. Have a bit of a history with rapid weight loss and then dramatic weight gain.... lets just say... I cheated! I'm now trying to do things healthily. I'm 5 ft 8 so aiming for a 1500 cals a day diet, and excersise 30 mins 3 or 4 days a week. Ive been on track for 2weeks now (A huge achievement for me) But weight isn't going down, some days it appears to have increased...maybe its my body trying to sort its metabolism and stuff out? I def look more toned.

So, its probably bad timing, but i want to stop smoking. have not smoked for a whole day. im worried as I have heard lots of stories about people putting on weight when they stop smoking... does anyone have any tips?

Thanks
x
Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 AM
FitDay Member

I quit smoking Jan 2nd... was also in fear of gaining even more weight so on Jan 26 I decided since I had quit smoking I'd better change my eating habits as I was up to 225lbs. I have been eating all healthy since and have been exercising 6 days a week. Drinking lots of water as well. Although in the beginning I did use an electronic cigarette, my mindset this time is different... I quit for myself,my health. I no longer use the electronic cigarette and I attribute a healthier lifestyle for my lack of craving for them. As of last friday I weighed in at 190! 35 lb loss in just 2 months!! I am no longer in the obese catagory... I am simply overweight and can't wait to hit my next goal of "normal weight"!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:24 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a smoker as well and I would also like to quit. I smoke a lot out of boredom, I've noticed that on days I exercise more or I'm just more active in general I don't want to smoke as much.

I also smoke a lot when I'm driving, just out of habit, so I've stared leaving my cigs at home when I'm running errands.

I'm not saying that I'm "quitting" because that seems to make me want to smoke more and I always wind up failing and feeling bad about it so, it just seems like I'm slowly starting to eliminate them without even thinking about just by changing a few habits.

Right now, I'm still smoking, just not as much... hope this helps at least a little. When I ask for advice I get tired of hearing the same things over and over again so try to think a little bit outside of the box!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks guys. Well done on all that weight loss Jessie. Generally Im ok not smoking when ive not been drinking... so its helped me to cut out drinking as much... but I still cant drink and not smoke...
My weight has been the same for a while... I have upped my excersise tho, maybe its just muscle weight? I think i'll try going by measurements as my scales seem to have it in for me!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 PM
FitDay Member

Hey guys, firstly - well done for wanting to stop - that's the first step taken! I stopped 2 years ago last week and it was honestly the best thing I have ever done. I went cold turkey. Just picked a date and stopped. I went on holiday to a couple of friends house who didn't smoke which probably made it a bit easier as the temptation to smoke in the house wasn't there. I did put on weight which has brought me to this web site now. I put on about 20lbs, but can't blame all that on stopping smoking - most of it I would probably have put on anyway! The good thing now though is that when I started exercising I didn't have the smoking unfitness to battle with along with the fat unfitness (if that makes any sense!).

I was at a wedding at the weekend, and had a bit of a smug smile inwardly at all the poor souls who had to keep going outside for a smoke and then coming back in smelling foul. 2 more great reasons for giving up.

Go for it. It will be horrible for the first wee while, but the feelings of achievement you get once you quit are more than enough to make up for the brief discomfort!