Raynaud's Phenomenon >

Raynaud's Phenomenon

Community
Notices

Raynaud's Phenomenon

Old 02-16-2012, 12:48 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Raynaud's Phenomenon

Anyone else got it? Rather annoying, I must say, especially living in a cold climate. I wonder if it can be brought on my a messed up metabolism resulting from the loss/gain/loss/gain/loss of a few hundred pounds of weight? I wouldn't be surprised.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-16-2012, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

Mayo Clinic-Causes of Raynaud's.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:15 AM
FitDay Member

Michael, I've never heard of it before, but on my new favorite website for alternative health there's some advice you can try:

RAYNAUD'S AND CREST DISEASE REMEDIES

I don't know anything about Raynaud's, but I take COQ10 which is good for circulation so I guessed that it might help. COQ10 is a wonder nutrient!

I found this linking COQ10 as beneficial (see posts AFTER "Related Results" box):

Coenzyme Q10 as related to Raynauds Phenomenon

Complementary and Alternative Therapies

Raynaud's is a poorly understood syndrome that may be helped with alternative therapies that improve circulation and support general health. Begin with nutritional support and circulatory stimulants.

Biofeedback may allow patient to bring digit temperature under voluntary control. Autogenic training has been found to be an effective technique for Raynaud's phenomenon.
Nutrition

* Vitamin E (400 to 800 IU/day) improves circulation and inhibits platelet aggregation.
* Vitamin C (1,000 mg bid to tid) supports connective tissue and reduces inflammation.
* B-complex (50 to 100 mg/day) reduces the effects of stress.
* Coenzyme Q10 (100 mg bid) enhances tissue oxygenation.
* Calcium (1,500 mg/day) and magnesium (200 mg tid) relieve spasm.
* Omega-3 oils (1,500 mg bid to tid) are anti-inflammatory and inhibit platelet aggregation.
* Zinc (30 to 50 mg/day) is required for normal immune function.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 AM
FitDay Member

I have it, secondary to fibromylagia. I wear hikers socks an always have glove on hand (pardon the pun.) Interesting to hear nutritional approaches to it.

How does it manifest in you and what do you do?
Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

I don't think they really know what causes it. Take care of yourself. If I had it I'd be trying everything suggested. I have seen cases from mild to very serious.

Do you have a good Dr? I'd be tempted to ask him if getting rid of the extra skin could help it. Maybe you could have your insurance company pay for surgery - if you wanted it. I may be way off track but in my mind excess skin could be a complication to your circulatory system. Worth researching.

Mary
Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Biofeedback is supposed to be quite helpful, if you can find someone who does it.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:47 AM
FitDay Member

I know a couple of people with it. Can't say about the metabolism but all the people I know with it have life threatening allergies and at least two of them developed it after having a severe reaction to something. Unfortunately one of them died from a test at the hospital which put a contrast dye made from shellfish into her blood stream. She was quite certain that her first incident of Raynaud's happened after a near death experience involving shrimp cocktail. Another of them has pretty good success avoiding certain food dyes, medications (Nsaids and mold based drugs) and milk, she also has to watch her sodium intake. And again she's quite certain that she started having Raynaud's after a near death experience involving an anaphylaxic episode brought on by something put in her IV at the hospital. So you might want to find an allergist and get a skin test, just a thought.

Um, wait aren't you a computer guy? Do you have carpel tunnel? You might want to try hand braces at night, believe me it really helps.

Last edited by almeeker; 02-21-2012 at 02:53 AM.