Notices

I almost regret losing weight now

Old 02-12-2012, 07:52 PM
FitDay Member

Default I almost regret losing weight now

I'm able to move around easier, breathe easier, I know I look better to most people too. I know my chances for developing some horrible disease are much less, but I've run into a big problem.

My arms have bat wings on them, my legs have loose skin, my chest has loose skin on it, and I just think it looks horrible. I thought I'd be able to wear shorts or a bikini in warm weather when I got down to a decent size but I wouldn't be caught wearing those things if my skin is going to look like this.

I want to start crying because I wonder why I thought losing weight was a good idea. I was just fat before now I'm fat and my skin is like this too. Was losing over 90 lbs really that good of an idea if it was going to do this to me?

I'm 33 but I feel like my skin looks older than that being all loose and stuff. Will this tighten up or will it just get worse and worse as I lose more weight?

I'm only a little more than half way to my goal weight, so before I was fat now I'm fat with loose skin too.

I've looked into plastic surgery for this but apparently the surgeries available leave visisble scarring which I want to avoid if possible.

I'm really angry with myself for ever letting myself get so heavy that something like this could happen to me. Even when I get to my goal weight my body will still betray the fact I was fat.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:56 PM
FitDay Member

I'm really sorry you're feeling like this, I think you've done a great job with your weight loss. I guess some people's skin is more 'adaptable' than other's. I'm no expert, but I guess if you try to increase your muscle mass, this loose skin will fill up a little bit. Maybe some specific exercises could help you tone those areas you commented.

Don't give up yet, you're an inspiration for many of us!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 PM
FitDay Member

I don't know what exercise to even try to do to be honest. I have a physical job. I walk, climb ladders, and lift somewhat heavy objects all the time. Both my arms and legs are tired after I get home from work so I know I'm working both my upper and lower body.

There might be some specific exercises for these things but I'm really afraid I'm going to end up eventually needing full body contouring to look normal but then if I do that, I'll have scars and I don't know if I could even afford anything like that. I've heard it can cost $25,000, which I don't think I would be able to afford.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad if I'd inspired anyone else at all but I'm not feeling particularly inspired myself at the moment.

Last edited by Rubystars; 02-12-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:07 AM
FitDay Member

I guess you need to ask yourself this question: You are going to have the skin no matter what, would you rather it be full of fat or not? I have similar issues, they've gotten a little better over time, but I'm never going to be a swimsuit model.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I guess you need to ask yourself this question: You are going to have the skin no matter what, would you rather it be full of fat or not? I have similar issues, they've gotten a little better over time, but I'm never going to be a swimsuit model.
Even though I'm in my 30s I had still hoped I might be able to get married one day but I don't think anyone will be interested in marrying someone who only looks good when they cover everything up. I mean that wasn't an immediate goal but it was something I thought about sometimes. I knew at 300+ lbs that I wasn't very attractive to most guys I'd be interested in anyway but I thought if I lost weight I'd look better, not worse.

I really wanted to be able to wear tank tops and shorts in summer, but I now know I'll have to have t-shirts and slacks like always.

I wasn't looking to be a swimsuit model, just to look presentable, a human, not a sharpei, you know? I guess it's not quite that bad but it's bad enough to make me feel embarrassed about it. I wasn't trying to lose weight too fast, it just sort of melted off right at first. I couldn't control the rate of it. Once I ate a reasonable amount of food (1200-1800 calories) rather than 3000 calories a day like before it just melted off.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Hey, Ruby. You are young. Your skin is elastic still. Give it some time, it will return. I looked up some of this online. I can't recall the links, but what I read stated that when you are "young" and lose a lot of weight rather quickly, that happens, but it will tighten up. No need for surgery unless you want "instant" results...The body will react and your skin will do what is supposed to in time. Your body doesn't want to look like a shar pei.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by frenchhen3
Hey, Ruby. You are young. Your skin is elastic still. Give it some time, it will return. I looked up some of this online. I can't recall the links, but what I read stated that when you are "young" and lose a lot of weight rather quickly, that happens, but it will tighten up. No need for surgery unless you want "instant" results...The body will react and your skin will do what is supposed to in time. Your body doesn't want to look like a shar pei.

I hope you are right! I am starting to have the loose skin under my arms, my inner thighs and my belly. I just keep telling myself to concentrate my exercise in those areas as much as I can and that having muscle under that loose skin has to help. I have also heard that it takes a while for your skin elasticity to catch up with your loss.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by frenchhen3
Thanks Frenchhen. I probably shouldn't be panicing yet, but I've just never seen this much loose skin before. If it looks better in a couple of years that would be ok. Someone also PMed me a medicine that might help which is good.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

I'll be having a discussion with my GYN on 2/27 about this topic to see what her thoughts are. If she says anything useful I will be sure to post it!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

Rubystars I also have had a lot of saggy skin on my journey when I was at my 135 goal I started to notice that as I maintained the weight that the skin over my knees and my arms started to look much better as muscle tone started to show. I have had no success with the tummy bag of skin but it has gotten smaller as my weight has dropped so its now a small flap of skin. I am in my mid 40's so my dr said that it would probably require surgery to fix. On the man concern I was very aware and uncomfortable in my skin my hubby said it didn't both him at all that he was confused at how I could have less confidence and yet be so much hotter(his words) so I think confidence is more important then some loose skin. I have learned to deal with how I feel about it using lingerie and when I want to wear skimpier clothes their are some great control products out their that are very comfortable. My trainer calls the skin a badge of honor and it should remind me of all the work I have done. I am sure you will meet the right man and he will be impressed at the work you have done so keep doing what is working for you and I am sure most of that skin will fix itself and once you have maintained for awhile you can decide what the best course of action is for you. Your story is awesome and 90lbs is a fantastic lose, congratulations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.