Notices

How can I calm down cravings?

Old 02-05-2012, 02:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default How can I calm down cravings?

hey guys,

i've been on my deit for awhile and i'm at the point where i've haven't had some food i really like in a long while.

so i'm finding myself starting to cave into my cravings abit.

is there any neat tips and tricks to help calm the craving beast and to stop me from making the wrong choices?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 PM
FitDay Member

I wish I knew the answer to this. When I get hungry all I can think about are enchiladas, lasagna, pizza, cake, etc. but then I go and eat something healthy. Usually I feel better after that but not always. This stuff is really hard when I know there are much better tasting foods out there but I can't have them because unlike other people, if I eat them they will make me gain weight, whereas other people can eat them and maintain their weight. It's so unfair. Why can't I have a normal dinner instead of a portion controlled one? Why do I have to eat low calorie food when I could be having chili dogs topped with cheese, but then I know I can't have it because it will make me gain weight? It sucks!
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 AM
FitDay Member

Oh ladies, can I empathize with you on this one! One thing I've tried really hard to do is to allow myself a single bite of something that I'm craving that I know I shouldn't have, in hopes that it will chase the craving away. But I have to prep for that, I can't just willy-nilly grab a spoon and do a face plant. First I have to eat something healthy and acceptable (a piece of fruit, a veggie, maybe a can of tuna with mustard), then drink some water (min 20 oz), wait 20 minutes or so and then allow myself the bite, chew slowly and then drink some more water to get the taste out of my mouth, maybe even toss in a breath mint. Sometimes it's the fading of the after-taste that drives me to another bite and another and another - well you get the idea. Another thing I do is keep those Laughing Cow cheese wedges in the fridge. I don't know what it is about them that helps, but 1-2 of those usually does the trick and they are only 35 calories each. I think it's because the calories in those are roughly 30-30-30 so it covers all the bases a lil' bit. I also keep sf pudding cups on hand, they are about 60-80 calories each (depending on the brand) and when I'm craving something sweet, they take the edge off. Speaking of pudding cups and Laughing Cow I need to go shopping today.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Rubystars
I wish I knew the answer to this. When I get hungry all I can think about are enchiladas, lasagna, pizza, cake, etc. but then I go and eat something healthy. Usually I feel better after that but not always. This stuff is really hard when I know there are much better tasting foods out there but I can't have them because unlike other people, if I eat them they will make me gain weight, whereas other people can eat them and maintain their weight. It's so unfair. Why can't I have a normal dinner instead of a portion controlled one? Why do I have to eat low calorie food when I could be having chili dogs topped with cheese, but then I know I can't have it because it will make me gain weight? It sucks!
In truth you "can" eat any of those things, you just should "choose" not to, and not just for your waist line, most of those foods can also stop your heart, raise your blood pressure, shoot your cholesterol through the roof and/or give you a stroke. Well I don't know about you, but I find the term "choose" easier to live with than "can't".
Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
In truth you "can" eat any of those things, you just should "choose" not to, and not just for your waist line, most of those foods can also stop your heart, raise your blood pressure, shoot your cholesterol through the roof and/or give you a stroke. Well I don't know about you, but I find the term "choose" easier to live with than "can't".
I agree wholeheartedly.

I am also of the mind that if I continually deprive myself of something, I will go hog wild (emphasis on hog) with it eventually. I plan for my cravings by adjusting the rest of the day (sometimes the day before and / or the day after)...if I can work it into my pie chart and calories, I eat it. However, it takes some planning; if I eat it impulsively, all bets are off and I'm screwed...I'll just compulsively snack the rest of the day. Like Amy said, "bookend" it with healthy food; do something to get the taste out of your mouth afterward as well.

Of course, some people do better if they don't give in and avoid those foods completely. Everybody is different; you'll have to experiment and see what works best for you.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

well i find the times when i take that one bite, it can usually calm the cravings.

like my hubby makes a pizza i tend to cut off a tiny piece for myself.

but it's abit challenging when the hubby makes these foods, pizza, poragies or any froozen toss into the oven type foods (mostly breaded stuff) when my programs doesn't let me have this stuff it's hard when we're both home and the smell fills the house.

the other times is when i'm out, the worst is if i'm something were food i like is near by, like a convinise store, or fast food at the mall. the bright colors and the smells really get me craving them.

the one thing i find that kinda helps is chewing gum, (which i should really start doing more off again) i usually use the bubblegum flavour dental kinda, so it gets that sweetness i crave for and aalso gets my body thinking that i'm eating.

if only there was that magical trick that would work for everyone
Old 02-06-2012, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, if you can eat one bite of a good tasting food then you're a stronger person than I am. I find that avoiding them as much as possible is a good policy. If they're in front of me I can say no and abstain. If I eat one bite I need to have at least a reasonable serving of it.

There is the emotional side of it and the logical side of it. The emotional side was coming through in the post I made earlier. I wish I could live on all the bad foods without having any health consequences, and I know that nobody can do that, even thin as a rail people who don't gain weight by it can still be sick inside their bodies.

I was watching one of those freaky eaters episodes on youtube where a guy ate nothing but french fries for years and years on end. Literally he felt he couldn't tolerate any other kinds of food. He was very physically active, and so didn't gain weight from it. He said that french fries didn't affect him. When the show's hosts had blood tests done on him, it showed he was at high risk for a heart attack or a stroke, and this is what woke him up to his bad diet.

I keep hoping that there might be some artificial substitutes for some of the more notorious foods in the future that have reduced calories and health risks, or at least a manipulation of natural substance (like miracle noodles). If the food scientists can make lots of types of sweetener (the natural option being stevia) be low calorie or zero calorie, why can't they make more savory options for us?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:30 AM
FitDay Member

if only there was 0 cal pizza and ice cream, chips with no salt but still tasted the same.

soda not full of sugar

sadly it doesn't work that way darn
Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

I give myself two days a week where I let myself indulge in my cravings (not completely, just one small portion of one thing I really want). I feel like I'm only living once, if I really want a few bites of that cheesecake, why not? But you have to make sure you're control, because it can be a veryyyy slippery slope.

Another option is, really think about your craving, and find out if there is a healthier solution to it. A few of my examples:

Pizza. Instead, why not get some very thin flat bread, and put some seasoned vegetables and tomato sauce on top, then a sprinkle of cheese. Then heat it up and enjoy

Ice cream. Graham cracker and a little low fat whipped cream. Or (and healthier), blended frozen bananas with a little almond milk (yummm).

Chips. I make homemade sweet potato chips instead. Thinly slice a sweet potato, add some herbs and a tiny bit of salt, drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, and throw in the oven.

And for chocolate, I just eat a tiny piece of dark chocolate.

I find that restricting too much often can cause diets to fail, at least for me. If I've been too strict, I often find myself binging which is far worse than the small indulgence every once in a while

Edit: Another tip! Drink a glass of water or tea any time you're hungry. Sometimes when you think you want food, it's really your body telling you it just wants more water!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by yunalee
hey guys,

i've been on my deit for awhile and i'm at the point where i've haven't had some food i really like in a long while.

so i'm finding myself starting to cave into my cravings abit.

is there any neat tips and tricks to help calm the craving beast and to stop me from making the wrong choices?
What I did is I found a new food, or new food combo that is "good for you" that you just get the crazy cravings for! Presently for me, it is pickled banana peppers. I love them on chicken breasts, salad, eggs... Before that, it was avocado tomato sandwiches. Find you new crazy good for you craving! Loaded with flavor and goodness!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.