Notices

New to this

Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
FitDay Member

Question New to this

Hello! I am new to this, hope I do it right! I just turned 32 years old and decided enough was enough, it is time to take care of myself. I started my new "healthy life" 2 weeks ago today. So far, I have lost 11 pounds. I love how I feel (other than the growling tummy, haha). I am having a VERY hard time working up the energy to go and exercise. I am also having a hard time getting my husband to support me. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

My other problem, probably my biggest problem at this point, is my evening eating. I have huge difficulty NOT eating at night! 8-10 pm is my worst time. I want salty, crunchy food. Any suggestions on how to overcome this? Or any healthy snack ideas to eat at that time?

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM
FitDay Member

Hi amylee! I'm an evening snacker, too. (And I love my salty snacks the best!) Two things that get me over the hump from 8-10 are 100 calorie bags of micro popcorn or hummus with fat-free pretzels. Lots of good, healthy hummus recipes online. If you're not into hummus, pretzels dipped in honey mustard is awesome, too.

Hope this helps and welcome! You'll find lots of helpful info here.
quinn
Old 03-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Welcome, Amylee

It sounds like you are describing me with the nighttime snacking and salty snacks. I think Quinn's suggestions are good. I would also like to add rice cakes and baked tortilla chips and salsa, and also Goldfish, if you aren't going the low carb route. I never would have thought of the Goldfish, but I read the label one day and you can get about 60 of those suckers in an ounce for 130 calories. I started "saving" about 200 calories for evening, and would usually do a piece of fruit and then a salty snack a little later on.

If I want to snack more at night, I usually make a cup of herbal tea.

I'm not sure how much you want to go into detail, but I can't tell what you mean by your husband not being supportive. Do you mean he tells you you don't need to lose weight, does he bring home tempting foods, does he not understand how hard it is because he is thin? I guess not knowing all I can say is that you are doing this for you (but you know that) and you can find a support system elsewhere...like here. There are subgroups here in the Women's Corner that are parsed out by how much we are trying to lose, and all of them seem to get to know each other pretty well and provide great support.

Glad you are here!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the ideas guys! I actually made my own tortilla chips tonight out of low-carb tortilla shells and ate them with salsa. It was so good! Satisfied my need to munch but didn't totally sabotage my days work. I walked/jogged for the first time in years tonight. Thought I was going to die jogging, but I survived and feel pretty proud of myself.

As for my husband...he just doesn't seem to care about my goal. He isn't super thin, but he isn't extremely overweight either. When I first started, he said he would support me, but he didn't stick with that promise. The other night he brought home a brownie and sat and told me how good it was. I am seriously the biggest chocolate addict ever, lol. I love it! I know I am doing this for me, hopefully I can just keep concentrating on that. I feel good about what I am doing and feel better than I have in a long time. Maybe he will eventually see that I am in this for life and how much this means to me.

Thanks for the advice and ideas! I really appreciate it.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you are off to a good start, Amylee! Congrats!

I wonder if maybe your husband is insecure about your plan to lose weight and that's why he isn't being as supportive as he could be. Some people feel threatened when someone else makes improvements, and some people just don't like change. I think you hit the nail on the head...he may think that this is just a passing phase but once he sees that you are serious, he may be more likely to get on board. You sound like you have a good, healthy attitude; keep it up, girl!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by amylee32
Hello! I am new to this, hope I do it right! I just turned 32 years old and decided enough was enough, it is time to take care of myself. I started my new "healthy life" 2 weeks ago today. So far, I have lost 11 pounds. I love how I feel (other than the growling tummy, haha). I am having a VERY hard time working up the energy to go and exercise. I am also having a hard time getting my husband to support me. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

My other problem, probably my biggest problem at this point, is my evening eating. I have huge difficulty NOT eating at night! 8-10 pm is my worst time. I want salty, crunchy food. Any suggestions on how to overcome this? Or any healthy snack ideas to eat at that time?

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!!
Hi Amylee (this your name or a fan-username for the singer Amy Lee from Evanescence? JW). I commend you on sticking with this for even 2 weeks. I would usually last that long and go back to whatever I was before, but here you are doing great.
My family makes tempting food all the time...yesterday, my younger sister made brownies! And tonight my dad and his wife ate chili dogs! And yesterday, my sister went to the beach and ate pizza! How I resist the urge to eat those foods with my family (and it's mostly for the comfy feeling of being with my family, not even really for the foods), I just...do. I know that's bad advice I don't really have an tricks or tips...I just go play the piano or listen to music. In other words, I go do something that I like to do. But that's about it. I'm sorry your husband doesn't support you, it's quite frustrating when you change your lifestyle but the people around you don't change theirs. But they aren't obliged too really either, it'd be nice of course... I can't ask my dad and sister and wife to stop eating the foods that they do But if I had a husband, I would assume he would want to help me. Maybe your husband doesn't realize how much it's hurting you..so ask him to be more sensitive maybe, if you can do that (which you should)
In any case, if you are out of energy to do excercise and you have a growling tummy are you sure you are eating enough? How many calories are you consuming and what foods are they? I am 99.9% positive you've heard/read the essay about "eat 6 meals a day" and blah blah..well what I can say, fill up on fruits and vegetables, and do eat them through out the day. I am starting to incorporate more fruits (usually I didn't) and you can eat quite a bit without so many calories. And when you're hungry eat a rice cake. I just bought some, mine is the cheddar cheese kind. Since you're a chocolate lover, you can buy the chocolate ones and have only 60 calories. Albeit, it's not going to make you feel full but when you're craving something eat that.
Or eat some string cheese for only 60 calories. Or buy the 100 calorie popcorn bags by Orville.
I plan my diet out in the day so I have about 150 calories left after dinner for the night because I KNOW I will snack on something in the night. You should try this also. And try tea if you like it.

Good luck

Last edited by DeathArrow; 03-29-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Amylee! Congratulations on your progress-11 pounds in 2 weeks? Wow! I think night time snacking is almost a universal problem (me, too-usually on weekend nights). I'm one of those blah, blah people Deatharrow mentioned, in that eating 6 mini meals a day works great for me. It keeps my blood sugar stable and keeps me from getting so hungry that I don't go overboard and gobble up everything in sight before I realize I overdid it. But this forum is pretty respectful of each person's right to choose what works best for them. Eating starchy carbs before bedtime just doesn't help me reach my goals, so I try to eat them earlier in the day when I need quick energy. To each his own.

As to support, this is a great place to get it! Once your husband realizes you're serious, he'll probably stop the sabotage. Either way, keeping the focus on your own behavior is the road to success. I liked Deatharrow's suggestion to distract ourselves with activities that we enjoy. Wish I could play the piano
Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 AM
FitDay Member

I'd also suggest eating frequent meals, at least 5 times a day. If you can incorporate protein and/or complex carbohydrates (fruits & veggies) into each meal, or as often as you can, that will help you to feel fuller for longer too.

I'm also struggling with some trouble with my support system as well, but at the end of the day, I'm doing this for me. I would love it if I had more support, but it's not going to stop me. And it's not like either of us is completely without some support, we have this forum.

Congrats on your progress so far though, it sounds like you're doing wonderfully!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

Hang in there, girls! I've been at this since last October, though with the holidays I didn't really get serious about it until January. I have 23 lbs down, 25 to go. Now that I'm fitting into pants I haven't worn in years, its finally (!!!) starting to rub off on the hubs. I can't get him to do a food log yet, but he's actually been to the gym and instead of eating cheese and crackers before he goes to bed in the morning (midnight shifter) he has an apple. He's willingly ate a few veggies too, and not putting as much on his plate at dinner. I will continue to gently encourage this behavior, but I am not the nagging type, whether or not he gets skinny too is up to him. I'm in this for me
Old 03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all the words of advice and encouragement. Today had struggles. My coworker ate a very yummy looking bar and told me how delicious it was. I spent the next 2 hours battling the urge to go get one, haha. I won, which feels great. I am thinking that the feeling of success is more important than the chocolate fix. I exercised again tonight and honestly, I feel SOOO frustrated with myself. 14 years ago I could run a mile. Granted it took me awhile, but I did it. I have always had problems with weight, I was a chubby kiddo too. But when I was 18 I was pretty fit and able to do so much more. Now I jog for about 2 minutes and seriously feel like my legs are going to fall off. It's not even a fast jog! I jog for a few minutes, walk for a lot of minutes, and repeat. Hopefully the exercise is all that counts and I am burning calories and getting fit again. The fear of failing is constantly in my mind. I worry a lot about it. I also worry about my weight loss. I think I have become obsessed with the scale. I tell myself everyday that I will not weigh myself for at least 3 days, but each morning I still step on it. I had my husband hide it, but I just HAD to know what my weight was, so I snooped around until I found it. I find that if I haven't lost anything or if it is "only" a half pound that I become discouraged and angry at myself. I know deep down that ANY weight loss is good. I just have to keep telling myself that.

I do have a question...is there a specific amount of calories I should eat? Is there a minimum? I have been very faithful logging everything and noticed that I am sticking right around the 1000 calorie mark, sometimes less. Is that too little? Too much? I don't feel super hungry most of the time. At night I want to munch, but I wouldn't say I am starving. I eat a lot of protein, try to limit carbs, so I think that is what is helping with my fullness. Is there something I should be doing different?

I noticed something today that thrilled me! My 'chins' are diminishing! Instead of having about 6, I only have about 3. Wooohooo!!

Thanks again for the support. I truly appreciate it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.