View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
gallusgal
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhdunn View Post
Briefly--50 yo male, overweight, family history of diabetes, etc. Tried off and on to lose weight with varying success. Something (I don't know what) finally clicked for me, so back in August, I began using FitDay, to log my activities and my intake. The key for me has been being RIGOROUS about logging in EVERYTHING that passes my lips. I also bought an inexpensive food scale, to really accurately measure my portions (in the past I just estimated).

I also began walking for 20 - 25 minutes each morning, and after about a month added the same amount of time on an old exercise bike that has been gathering dust. I also really changed the way I eat--lots more fresh foods, vegetables, citrus fruits, etc. Basically eliminated most breads (except for light wheat) and pastas (very small amounts). Cooked a lot from CookingLight; never felt like I was starving, either, even though I was eating only about 1000-1200 calories a day (might not be recommended for most people).

And it's worked. From a start of 258, I'm down to about 180 right now. Feel great, more active, new clothes, more confident--all the good stuff. I have in the last few weeks added some free weights and some resistance bands to tone up and build some muscle. My wife is very happy also!

So--be rigorous (obssessed almost) and honest and watch your portions--it will work for you too.

Thank you so much for sharing your success story. It is particularly heartening for me as I am taking much the same approach towards my weight loss. In the past when I tried to lose weight it seems I was always kidding myself about my true weight, how much I was eating etc. I just wasn't committed enough I suppose. This time, something really has clicked and I am determined to lose the weight and get to feeling fit and healthy again. Fit day is an excellent tool for this and so far I have been rigorous and if I ever feel disheartened or tempted I will refer back to your excellent post to keep me motivated! Thanks again, I hope to post a similar success story one of these days!

Last edited by gallusgal; 01-12-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling!
gallusgal is offline   Reply With Quote