View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Default The fewer calories you take in, the harder it may be to sustain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristimdavies View Post
I started with this site just last week and was amazed at how many calories I took in on a normal basis so I immediately started to cut back. Now I am paying attention to everything I put in my mouth. The bad thing is that after a few days I am finding myself getting by on 900-1000 calories a day.

I am not hungry and I don't feel deprived, so is this a bad thing? I filled my fridge with lots of good food that had plenty of protein and fiber. At this point I would find it hard to increase my calories. I have lost 3 pounds in a week. This seems reasonable. I need opinions?

Hi there! I'm glad to hear that logging your food was so helpful. It really is an eye-opener, isn't it?!

My thoughts on your questions: generally, doctors say that a 1-2 pound loss per week is the safest and most likely to last. However, if you are just starting, or if your weight is pretty significant to begin with, your weekly losses will naturally be bigger.

About the calories, everyone is different. Some say that under 1200 or so, your body starts to slow down the metabolism to conserve, making it harder to lose. Others say that is not true. There are people on this site who are examples of both, so it is not an absolute. If it works for you, do it, as long as your nutrition is okay.

I will say, though, that the fewer calories you take in, the harder it may be to sustain. You want to look at this as a lifestyle change, not a diet to go on and off, and whatever you change to should be something you can keep up forever.

And a big thumbs up on the protein and fiber!!!!!!!!

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-08-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added quote, title