View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
handcycle2005
FitDay Member

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was researching, doing my Sunday ride and taking care of some things at this end.(No, not the game. )

I don't believe there's any inconsistency. Food supplements should be held to the same standards for safety and testing as food additives.
I find it quite telling that the industry does not want their products subjected to scrutiny and lobbied for(and got) legislation to that effect. What are they hiding?

To the study you quoted.
There is liberal use of phrases such as
which could lead..., It was also reported..., may act on, is believed..., and similar.

These are phrases of opinion, not fact.
Despite this, the conclusion is presented as proven.

The whole paper is a rehashing of other studies with no original research or teting done to confirm previous studies.

Even the studies quoted and referenced make claims without proof.
Example: A claim is made that ingestion of aspartame during pregnancy causes brain tumors and retardation.

No mention is made of any study done to prove this claim.

There are many causes of both tumors and retardation and it would require a major effort to isolate aspartame as the

culprit yet none is made.

A claim is made that blindness will result from normal consumer useage yet I see no indication that there has been a major

increase in unexplained blindness here or elsewhere.

What I consider to be most damaging to the credibility is the following quote from one of the referenced studies.

Quote:
In addition, Mehl-Madrona (2005) observed that
when the temperature of aspartame exceeds 86F, the wood
alcohol in aspartame is converted into formaldehyde and
then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis.
The methanol toxicity is thought to mimic the symptoms of
multiple sclerosis. According to them, symptoms of fibromyalgia,
spasms, shooting pains, numbness in the legs,
cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain,
depression, anxiety, slurred speech, blurred vision or memory
loss have been attributed to aspartame.
One can of diet soda will provide 10 mg of methanol while the above toxic effects are present in doses of 10 ml or more.
The fact that this information is not mentioned calls into question the ethics of the researchers.

Methanol is present in greater amounts in fruit juice, fermented beverages, is a by product of digestion and is produced by intestinal bacteria.
The use of those symptoms is just a scare tactic and has no place in scientific inquiry.

Also, the mentioned symptoms have a wide variety of causes and is not specific to aspartame.

Last edited by handcycle2005; 02-06-2012 at 01:28 AM.
handcycle2005 is offline   Reply With Quote