Notices

Attn Soda (pop) drinkers!!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:08 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Attn Soda (pop) drinkers!!

We have all heard how unhealthy drinking soda can be for us. I got little different perspective from a local clinic the other day and figured I would share it.

Sugar content of a 20 oz bottle:

Coke = 14 tsp
Fanta = 16 tsp
Mtn Dew = 19 tsp

Sugar content of a 8.4 oz can:

Red Bull = 7 tsp

I cannot load the photo at work but I will put it up tonight. Disturbing!

Last edited by buda15; 03-05-2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: wrong # of oz on Red Bull
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 AM
FitDay Member

here is the pic...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sugar.jpg (83.4 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-05-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: included pic in body of post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 AM
FitDay Member

I am saving this pic on my computer so I can look at it when I get my Mt Dew crave! Thanks! It's sickening and I'm glad you posted it!!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:42 AM
FitDay Member

In my opinion, soda is liquid death in a can. And diet soda is just as bad because of the artificial sweeteners.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by VitoVino
In my opinion, soda is liquid death in a can. And diet soda is just as bad because of the artificial sweeteners.
Ditto
Old 02-04-2012, 09:02 PM
FitDay Member

Default Actually

unless you found something in a really obscure journal, the evidence base is not there for artificial sweeteners being so unhealthy. There are many, many shady websites with dramatic claims, but they never seem to post any solid scientific evidence.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:56 AM
FitDay Member

Great photo, really brings it home how bad soda is! Me, well I still drink Pepsi Max as it's still better than stuffing my face with chocolate, the Pepsi satisfies my cravings... having said that I have cut back A LOT, just a couple a night now if that.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by neurogrrl
unless you found something in a really obscure journal, the evidence base is not there for artificial sweeteners being so unhealthy. There are many, many shady websites with dramatic claims, but they never seem to post any solid scientific evidence.
You mean sites like Medicinenet?

Aspartame is one of the most controversial artificial sweeteners. There are numerous web sites, books, and articles stating various reasons why aspartame should not be consumed. Some site studies to support their theories while others base their claims on industry-related conspiracies. One fact is that aspartame does get metabolized, meaning that it doesn't get excreted in the same form that it is when ingested. This is the reason why it can't be consumed by people with the metabolism disorder PKU. The following is a summary of some of the controversial dangers of consuming aspartame.
The presence of chlorine is thought to be the most dangerous component of sucralose. Chlorine is considered a carcinogen and has been used in poisonous gas, disinfectants, pesticides, and plastics. The digestion and absorption of sucralose is not clear due to a lack of long-term studies on humans. The majority of studies were done on animals for short lengths of time. The alleged symptoms associated with sucralose are gastrointestinal problems (bloating, gas, diarrhea, nausea), skin irritations (rash, hives, redness, itching, swelling), wheezing, cough, runny nose, chest pains, palpitations, anxiety, anger, moods swings, depression, and itchy eyes. The only way to be sure of the safety of sucralose is to have long-term studies on humans done.
I can go on all day with this, but I choose not to consume ARTIFICIAL sweeteners in my diet. The reality is, some of these sweeteners were pushed through quickly for approval by the FDA without adequate study.

FACT: There are numerous claims from people suffering side effects.

If a person chooses to be part of an experiment by ingesting artificial sweeteners, that's fine. In 50 years the world will know the deal. But there is enough "evidence" at the moment to be cautious at the least, while avoidance is probably best.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:29 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation And

There's also mounting evidence that diet soda makes you fat.

June 29, 2011 10:09 AM
New study is wake-up call for diet soda drinkers

By
Ryan Jaslow

(CBS) Sorry, soda lovers - even diet drinks can make you fat.

That's the word from authors of two new studies, presented Sunday at a meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

"Data from this and other prospective studies suggest that the promotion of diet sodas as healthy alternatives may be ill-advised" Dr. Helen Hazuda, professor of medicine at University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, said in a written statement. "They may be free of calories, but not of consequences."

Consequences like weight gain.

For one study, researchers at the center followed 474 diet soda drinkers, 65 to 74 years of age, for almost 10 years. They found that diet soda drinkers' waists grew 70 percent more than non-drinkers. Specifically, drinking two or more diet sodas a day busted belt sizes five times more than people who avoided the stuff entirely.

And as waist size grows, so do health risks - including diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and other chronic conditions.

Just how does diet soda make you fat? The other study may hold the answer. In it, researchers divided mice into two groups, one of which ate food laced with the popular sweetener aspartame. After three months, the mice eating aspartame-chow had higher blood sugar levels than the mice eating normal food. The authors said in a written statement their findings could "contribute to the associations observed between diet soda consumption and the risk of diabetes in humans."

But how?

"Artificial sweeteners could have the effect of triggering appetite but unlike regular sugars they don't deliver something that will squelch the appetite," Sharon Fowler, obesity researcher at UT Health Science Center at San Diego and a co-author on both of these studies, told the Daily Mail. She also said sweeteners could inhibit brain cells that make you feel full.

So if sugar soda is no good, and diet soda isn't either - what should we be drinking?

Dr. Hazuda told the Daily Mail, "I think prudence would dictate drinking water."
New study is wake-up call for diet soda drinkers - HealthPop - CBS News

So what this all boils down to is, calling soda "liquid death in a can" is quite apropos.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:56 AM
FitDay Member

Aspartame breaks down into phenylalanine which is an amino acid present in all protein.
Sufferers of PKU must follow a highly restricted diet.

There are no documented studies confirming the claimed side effects of aspartame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.