Thread: Senior program
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
askoolteacher
FitDay Member

Default working out in your fifties and sixties.

You are definitely heading in the right direction. I would recommend using diet as 80% of your plan to lose weight, with workouts comprising 20%. My suggestion would be to eat 10 calories per ten pounds pounds of your goal weight (If you want to weigh 200 pounds, average of about 2000 calories a day). I would also suggest as you chart on fitday, you watch your total carbs a day and stay in between 50 and 100 grams of carbs a day. Lean protein, fresh vegetables, a little fruit eaten early in the day should be the foundation of your diet. If you absolutely must have bread, try sprouted grain bread and no more than an average of one slice a day.
When it comes to working out, do multi-joint type exercises and do them with some intensity for 20 minutes, three times a week. Walk 3-4 days a week as well until you start to feel that your conditioning has improved.
Once your body starts to feel like is coming around, I would encourage you to research "metabolic workouts" and implement them 2-3 times a week.
I am 55 years old and am in the best shape of my life. I have always been a workout guy but I am finally starting to figure it out!
askoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote