Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Women's Plus Size vs. Junior's Plus Size >

Women's Plus Size vs. Junior's Plus Size

Community
Notices

Women's Plus Size vs. Junior's Plus Size

Old 02-01-2012, 03:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Women's Plus Size vs. Junior's Plus Size

What is the difference? I was shopping online at Kohl's the other day and came across a junior's plus size section. The tops in there are much more to my style and liking than some of the women's section stuff. I am leery of ordering online to begin with but I am thinking maybe they are going to be shorter than women's or they are not as full cut since they are for a younger crowd. Anybody have an idea? I think my best bet is to see if my local Kohl's store has a juniors plus section at the store and start there.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:50 AM
FitDay Member

Hola, April,
My experience with Junior's clothes at Kohl's has also been that I like the style better, but the cut is significantly smaller and a bit shorter than the "regular" clothes. Since I'm 5'3 (and a half), I like the shorter cut, but the sizing can be a real headache. I haven't tried the Junior's Plus sizes, but to give you a rough idea: I usually wear a medium on top, but in Jr's sizes that typically translates to an XL and *sometimes* L. Pant sizes are so wonky it's hard to give you a general idea, but I'd say at my size 10 regular, I'd probably do a 12/13 in Jr's. But clothing manufacturers seem to *really* hate women/girls when it comes to pants/bottoms, so it's just a bunch of trial and error.

Hope that helped - let us know how it goes!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks! If they are shorter at all, then I'm out! LOL At 5'10" I usually can't get away with average length jeans anymore. I mostly by tall if they have the option. I used to but for some reason now they stop just above my ankle and that is not the look I want! I still have the habit of wearing tops long enough to go past my belly too. I dont' want anyone to see the curve of the bottom of my belly. Even though that curve is decidedly smaller now.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

I've shopped in the Jr's department too and I will say that for the most part, Jr's aren't cut for grown women, but it all depends on the style, sometimes I get lucky. For example my rear end is much more shapely than your average 12 year old girl's, so I find the jeans really short in the seat, and I don't have nearly the curve back there that I used to. I also have noticed that although the tops fit me around and in length (yes they are shorter) they're ALWAYS tight across my double D's, cause you just don't see these in Jr. High. Every now and again I do buy a thing or two from the Jr's department, but I shop the women's racks first.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Amy! Yeah, I doubt many highschoolers are carrying around what we are. I know mine were D's then but they seemed much smaller then than now! I guess I will stick to the women's section. Even though so often it seems that plus size women must really want to wear things with loud obnoxious patterns!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

And sequins! We all want sequins! And not just a few...we want to be COVERED in them! I'm not sure who does the designing for a lot of women's plus lines, but seriously. I'm big and round. Add sequins and I'm a disco ball.

One line that I do like is a.n.a. at JC Penney. Normal clothes that fit well and are professional.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by amandabeth1981
And sequins! We all want sequins! And not just a few...we want to be COVERED in them! I'm not sure who does the designing for a lot of women's plus lines, but seriously. I'm big and round. Add sequins and I'm a disco ball.

One line that I do like is a.n.a. at JC Penney. Normal clothes that fit well and are professional.
ROFLOL, you sister are very funny. In all seriousness, you aren't a disco ball until someone throws the light switch and shines a flashlight on you. Oh and you have to spin in circles too. lol.

DH went to a surprise party in December for his best friend. Anyway about an hour into the event my husband leans over to me and asks me if I need to go shopping. I'm like "uh?", then he points out that I'm the only woman at the party who's ass isn't completely decked out in bling-bling. I totally cracked up laughing and the very next time I went to the store I found a pair of jeans with pockets that are absolutely covered in sequins and whatnot. They amuse DH, but I don't wear them often because you really can't sit comfortably on all that, it's bumpy and catches on everything.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

LOL I have a pair that has some bling on the pockets. Most of my tops cover that area anyway. I haven't gotten to a point where I let my butt & gut show. LOL

My hubby held up a pair of my jeans the other day while I was folding laundry and commented on how 'small' they are.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
ROFLOL, you sister are very funny. In all seriousness, you aren't a disco ball until someone throws the light switch and shines a flashlight on you. Oh and you have to spin in circles too. lol.

DH went to a surprise party in December for his best friend. Anyway about an hour into the event my husband leans over to me and asks me if I need to go shopping. I'm like "uh?", then he points out that I'm the only woman at the party who's ass isn't completely decked out in bling-bling. I totally cracked up laughing and the very next time I went to the store I found a pair of jeans with pockets that are absolutely covered in sequins and whatnot. They amuse DH, but I don't wear them often because you really can't sit comfortably on all that, it's bumpy and catches on everything.
HA! If I spin in circles, will that count as exercise? I don't mind a little bling, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
FitDay Member

You forgot the huge armholes that are sometimes on plus size women's tops. Sometimes when I put the shirts on I put my head in the armhole.

If I shop in Juniors (which isn't often) I have to be aware that every top wants to show my tata's. As I have a natural winter coat on I can't wear layers. So while some of them are very cute nobody wants to see my old lady crack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.