View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #26 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Default The right carb-protein-fat ratio varies for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerinjade View Post
Hi ladies,
I have been actively trying to drop some weight since December and have lost about 8 lbs so far, from 160 to 152 (yay!). I have been at 152 now for the past week and a half, which is kind of frustrating! I have been logging my calories at about 1300-1400 a day, working out almost every day (Zumba and Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred).

Jeannette, do a search for protein in the forums; there have been a number of threads, though not recent, that have had ways to eat more protein. If you can't find any, let us know.

Sadly, I have to disagree with the fact that your weight staying the same is the result of gaining muscle. Fat does not turn to muscle; this is a myth...losing fat and building muscle are 2 completely different processes. I've read that if you are dedicated to putting on muscle (i.e., making a conscious effort to do heavy weight training, eating a ton of protein, and doing everything toward the goal of building muscle), the most you will probably gain, as a female, would be 2-3 pounds over about three months. I don't think that's the case here. However, your muscles may, shortly after a workout, be retaining some water and other things as they go through the healing process, which may account for some of it.

No, I think what you have is a good old-fashioned plateau, and we all hit 'em. The previous poster is right in that you will probably see a drop soon.

The right carb-protein-fat ratio varies for everyone. 60% for carb is not horrible, but that depends on your body. It's worth experimenting tweaking it to see if more protein and fewer carbs would be helpful. And don't forget your healthy fats...so many folks shy away from fat (me included, previously), when it's really necessary for body functions and even weight loss.

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added quote, title, condensed