Notices

Energy gels??

Old 01-29-2012, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Energy gels??

Don't know if I am posting this in the right place or not, if not perhaps a mod can move it.

I am wondering if any of you, perhaps runners, to others have any experience with any of the energy gels on the market? Pros/cons, taste, etc. Here is why i am asking. I am part of team making a very deep dive in May of this year. One of the logistical things I am looking at, is that we will be underwater for 5-6 hours. A great deal of that will be in shallow water doing decompression. But I am looking for a way to get some nutrients and a little hydration on board while submerged. I thought the gels might be a good way to go. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

The gels are not for hydration rather as an easily tolerated carbohydrate source for very long workouts and races. They must be taken with water.
Other than electrolytes, you don't need to replenish any nutrients during exercise.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

I just had GU Roctane pineapple. It was better than I was expecting.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

I've had energy bars during long bike rides of a 3 hours or more and they work well, but like HC says they need to be taken with water.

I've come to realize that if I'm in shape, stuff like that isn't needed for quick energy any more. I've been quite successful eating some dried apricots or raisins for some extra energy during long workouts. Both are good sources of potassium.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

i'm not necessarily looking for energy, although that's the title of the thread because i think thats what those little packets are called. Looking for some small, waterproof way of getting some hydration and perhaps some calories on board while decompressing.

I didn't realize you need to take those packets with water...kind of defeats the point. The hardest part is that is has to be waterproof and nothing that takes a lot of chewing as we will have to take our breathing apparatus out of our mouth to access whatever we finally use and then put it back in to breath again. So the food/liquid has to be small and basically ready to swallow.

Last edited by kimbur96; 01-29-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 PM
FitDay Member

Do they make waterproof containers for diving that you can fill with liquids? One would think somebody would have thought of this...
Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM
FitDay Member

I'm not a diver so I have no experience in this area....but wouldn't one of those packages explode when you tried to open it under pressure? Sounds like a big mess to me.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by liberatedmist
I'm not a diver so I have no experience in this area....but wouldn't one of those packages explode when you tried to open it under pressure? Sounds like a big mess to me.
Deep thought!