View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

I keep coming back to this post and thread. Maybe I just like the virtual slap it gives me.

Was reading another thread over on the Women's Corner and the OP was talking about hard work versus taking the easy way out, and it started me thinking about the fact that our default, by and large, as a society, is to look for the easy ways out. Parking close, having machines do our work, taking elevators, grabbing prepackaged foods. I can't stand that mentality in work and other areas, so there's no reason to put up with it with respect to doing what I need to do to be healthy. Making the effort makes the difference. Pushing through the strain of an exercise routine makes a difference. Saying no when you want to say yes to a snack makes a difference. But those all require a lot more work than giving in.

Right now I am at the realization that the work doesn't end, either. I hit my goal weight 2 weeks ago. I am still working just as hard to maintain, and there's still no room for excuses. I had to set new goals...not weight, but exercise performance, body fat reduction...it's still work. It sucks that I can't say, well, I did it, I can go back to the way I used to be, but that's why I'm still here, still logging everything, still being accountable. What is it the 12-steppers say? It only works if you work it? The word work probably isn't an accident.

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote