Depressive? >

Depressive?

Community
Notices

Depressive?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 PM
FitDay Member

Default Depressive?

Hey there! I've been on a no-carbs diet during this whole week, and although I am happy with the weight loss, I am feeling VERY depressed. There are no extra factors that can provoke this. I looked for info on google and it seems that a restriction on carbs can lead to depressive states.
Now, I don't want to be cranky and crying every day of my life so I thought if I tried eating a bit of carbs (like whole-grain pasta and bread, for instance), it won't be so bad and I will still be able to lose weight.

what do you guys think?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:31 AM
FitDay Member

There is no reason to cut carbs from a diet. Calories make you gain weight , not any specific source.
Eating no carbs means you're consuming an unhealthy amount of fats and proteins. (Very high protein intake is hard on the kidneys.)

When you deplete your glycogen stores, you also lose the water that is stored with it. Weight loss for this reason is generally in the 3-5 lbs range. You have not lost real weight.

Depression can be a result of low blood sugar.

Return carbs to your diet (at least 40% of calories) and focus on complex carbs.

Carbs have been demonized for the sake of selling diet plans and books.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:51 AM
FitDay Member

Absentha, I've moved this discussion to "Food Talk" since I see no reason why this topic should not be opened up for everyone, not just women. It's a good topic and should be discussed by both sexes.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I need to ask...

When you say "No carb" do you mean NO carbs (i.e., no fruits and veggies) or do you mean no refined carbs (pasta, wheat, bread, etc.).

If you've been on NO carbs at all, then I'd start shoveling some good veggies into your mouth Carbs aren't the enemy, though a few people on these boards have successfully maintained low-carb diets with a good selection of fruits and veggies with less refined carbs into the mix. It seems to work for them, and I wouldn't say a low-carb diet is wrong. I think the types and amounts of carbs you choose are important.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry guys, I meant no refined carbs (like bread and such), I did eat vegetables (like green beans and lettuce), but today, for instance, I had lentils for lunch and I feel so much better right now, full of energy and happy. I guess I can try to keep my diet low-carb but still keep eating some.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 AM
FitDay Member

I'm with Coach HC on this for sure. Carbs are not the enemy and 40% is a pretty moderate amount. And I also agree with HC that "carbs have been demonized for the sake of selling diet plans and books."

Check out this thread:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...elligence.html
Old 01-27-2012, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

I'll jump on this band wagon. I agree carbs are not the enemy. Just try to eat get most of them from complex sources like whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Try to keep your maco-nutrient balance of Carbs/Protein/Fat to apprx. 40/30/30 and keep your calories in check and you will lose weight and be healthy.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you everyone!