Thread: Coach's Corner
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 05:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
terrienne
FitDay Member

Default Strength Training Question

I started exercising at the beginning of Jan. Right now I am just doing fast walking for cardio 5 days a week. I have also (the last couple of weeks) started doing strength training on the machines. I am a woman and just trying to maintain muscle as I lose weight. For now I plan to just do the weight machines twice a week, but eventually want to work up to 3 times a week.

The few times I have done the machines I have just gone through the circuit and done all of the machines on the same day. (3 sets of 10 reps). I have read in the forums that some people recommend doing upper body one day and lower body the next time. If I have 3-4 days in between doing strength training do I still need to split up working the upper and lower body?

I have also seen some recommendations to not even use the machines. For me the machines seem to be the best option. On my arms I can barely do 20 pounds on some of the machines and can't imagine myself trying to do free weights. Why would it be bad to use the weight machines?

Thanks!
Terri
terrienne is offline   Reply With Quote