Notices

Twinkie Apocalypse

Old 01-19-2012, 03:28 PM
FitDay Member

Talking Twinkie Apocalypse

I've got something funny to share that happened today, although it's really been going on for weeks now.

I watched "Zombie Apocalypse" a few weeks back, and the running gag in the movie is how Woody Harrelson has this craving for Twinkies and will stop at nothing to find them even though the world is crumbling before him!

So I got to thinking, hmm, I haven't had a Twinkie in years! In fact, I can't remember the last time I had one, maybe twenty years ago. But I remember the darn thing was really good!

So for the last few weeks I've been thinking about buying some Twinkies (I'm now on "maintenance" LOL). Then the other night I'm watching Letterman, and he starts joking about Hostess going in Chapter 11 and how there won't be any more Twinkies around. Then it's on CNN. I can't get away from Twinkies, they're everywhere I turn!

A few days ago, I'm at Walmart shopping for all my clean food, and I must have been in the wrong isle because out of the corner of my eye I see this big box of, you got it, Twinkies! I can't ever recall ever seeing them in a Walmart before, maybe I have, I just don't remember. So I decide to get the heck out of the isle before I'm too tempted and buy the box.

This all led up to tonight. I went to a different Walmart (I've got two different ones within 10 miles) looking for a new bathroom scale. I'm doing a little bit of food shopping as well, and right there, in the middle of an isle, is a shopping cart turned sideways and it's totally blocking through passage. Nobody is around; the cart is abandoned. And what's in it? A few frozen foods and you got it, a box of Twinkies!

3-4 frozen meals and 1 box of Twinkies in an abandoned cart. What are the odds??

I continue shopping. I made a deal with myself. If that cart is still sitting there after I go check out bathroom scales, I'm going to take the box out of the cart and buy it! It must have been ten minutes later when I returned to find the cart and the Twinkies still sitting there, still blocking the isle. So I picked up the box and started reading the Nutrition Facts. 150 calories for one Twinkie. 10 Twinkies per box. Nope, just can't do it. I ONLY WANT ONE!

So I put the box back in the abandoned cart and got the heck out of the store. But after weeks of practically dreaming of these fluffy yellow cream filled treats, and now having them literally following me everywhere I go, I am weakening!

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-19-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:03 PM
FitDay Member

I will only say this, my daughter heard that Twinkies could last forever in their crinkly cellophane wrapping and she thought she would try that out. However she took it out of the wrapping and put it on a plate. It sat on her desk in her bedroom for 6 months. The sponge was completely hard and when she cracked it open the cream was cracked and drying.
The most interesting thing was that in 6 months there was absolutely no mould. There is something seriously wrong with a food that doesn't grow mould. Hope that strengthens your resolve. lol.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

Sort of adds another definition to the theory that you can't outrun a bad diet LOL.

Dude, you are what you eat. Do you really want to be a _____? Think about it...

Oh and BTW McDonald's burgers and fries don't mold either.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Dude, you are what you eat. Do you really want to be a _____? Think about it...

No, I don't want to become a ZOMBIE!!!

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-20-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

If you really had to have something like that I would definitely buy an individually wrapped package, not a box.

Check out this link on the McD's burger.... 1996 McDonalds Hamburger | Best Of Mother Earth
Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by crazigerl
There is something seriously wrong with a food that doesn't grow mould. Hope that strengthens your resolve. lol.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
If you really had to have something like that I would definitely buy an individually wrapped package, not a box.

Check out this link on the McD's burger.... 1996 McDonalds Hamburger | Best Of Mother Earth
Okay, first, Vito, I would advise some soul-searching to see if you really want your Twinkie. Sometimes if we're craving something, it MAY be better to give in, otherwise you'll end up stuffing in a lot of other food to try to satisfy that taste. What about substituting a piece of homemade sponge cake with a bit of whipped cream? Undoubtedly better for you (thought not necessarily good for you ). If you have to have it, like April said, single packaging is your friend. Eat something healthy after it, get it out of your head, and move on. But if you can get by with avoiding it and don't obsess about it, that's best!

Oh, the hamburger thing gave me chills. I have more to say but I have to run and eat before my eval at one. I'll post it later. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 AM
FitDay Member

Twinkies are so small, just a few bites, and 150 calories. When I think of all the low calorie sweets I could eat for 150 calories I can think of better trade-offs. On the other hand going a little above your calorie limit for one day every once in a while won't hurt you.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:38 PM
FitDay Member

Vitovino, I just wanted to let you know that Hostess has gone in to bankruptcy. So twinkie apocolypse's might be a thing of the past. Sorry to be the bearer of bad but good news.