Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITNESS > Exercise
Inaccurate calorie expenditure for sexual activity? >

Inaccurate calorie expenditure for sexual activity?

Notices

Inaccurate calorie expenditure for sexual activity?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default Inaccurate calorie expenditure for sexual activity?

So, I used to enter only my exercise routines into my activity log (yes, I know that sedentary "activity" lowers your daily expenditure - I accounted for that). Anyway, in an effort to be more accurate, I've been logging more of my daily activities. I just noticed that an hour of "active, vigorous" sexual activity only counts for 109 calories. Ummmm... other than personal perspective, I would note that an hour of "mild stretching" counts for 182 calories and an hour of "reading while sitting" is 95, which is the same as "general, moderate" sexual activity. Does this seem reasonable or consistent?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

Interesting topic, noclaw.

I'll take a stab at this since I enjoy trying to figure out the logic and science behind FitDay's robust software.

While "mild stretching" one is always moving around and using large muscle groups in the process. Perhaps the developers were thinking that "active, vigorous" also accounts for being on 'the receiving end' of things at times and thus uses less calories?

Don't forget that we burn calories every hour just for being alive. I would guess that "reading while sitting" is pretty close to that, maybe just a bit higher to account for the occasional getting up for a drink of water or something.

Just my guesses.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by noclaw
"reading while sitting" is 95, which is the same as "general, moderate" sexual activity. Does this seem reasonable or consistent?
I guess I should quit telling her to put down the book them.

On a serious note, I'd have t say that those numbers are off by a long shot. No pun intended.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 AM
FitDay Member

Seems reasonable to me. But then, I believe using one's brain is strenuous exercise.
Maybe the numbers account for breaks. Active, vigorous sex for an hour straight seems unlikely, while mild stretching for an hour seems more doable without a break.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I guess I should quit telling her to put down the book them.
You are too funny Mike!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kay_in_PA
You are too funny Mike!
Haha. I meant then not them, damn phone.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:47 PM
FitDay Member

I didn't even see the mistake because I knew what you meant. Seriously though, if sex doesn't get your heart rate up more than stretching, you're doing something wrong and should try changing positions or something.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:54 PM
FitDay Member

I appreciate the responses, both funny and serious. I realize that various sedentary activities burn extra calories and I could accept the idea that "moderate" sexual activity would be akin to mild stretching. I put in half an hour of stretching after all of my workouts, so that seems close. However, I'm kinda focusing on the "active" part. I mean, if I read for 20 or 30 minutes, I'm not even close to sweaty, breathless, or fumbling for the water bottle. So, VitoVino, since you mentioned the Fitday software, can you give us any insight into how it works?

As a side note, I would point out that, with various activities, one minute counts as (for example) 2 calories. If you then up the time for each, one activity may be 110 and the other is 90. That's the reason why I used an hour as my comparison for these activities - it highlights the differences. I'm not suggesting that I was really looking to enter an hour straight of vigorous sex.

Or was I?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by noclaw
So, I used to enter only my exercise routines into my activity log (yes, I know that sedentary "activity" lowers your daily expenditure - I accounted for that). Anyway, in an effort to be more accurate, I've been logging more of my daily activities. I just noticed that an hour of "active, vigorous" sexual activity only counts for 109 calories. Ummmm... other than personal perspective, I would note that an hour of "mild stretching" counts for 182 calories and an hour of "reading while sitting" is 95, which is the same as "general, moderate" sexual activity. Does this seem reasonable or consistent?
I've always thought the calculations were inaccurate as well. Certainly not a stellar endorsement for have sexual relations with the person that made that determination anyway.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 AM
FitDay Member

What about calorie intake during sex? ROTFLMAO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.