View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Eating more fat does help, but be sure that the bulk of it is the good kind of fat, such as from nuts, olive oil, fish and avocados, for example.

Fats in processed foods are generally not good for you. These are things like palm oil, coconut oil...trans fats, hydrogenated fats.

Here's some more info:

Fat Facts: Essential Fatty Acids, Saturated Fat, and Trans Fat

Also, make sure you eat enough. If you restrict too much, your body slows down your metabolism to compensate, making it harder to lose. I use this calorie calculator and it's pretty spot on for me, though everyone is different, particularly if you are at an extreme high or low weight:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

Personally, I have a lot more success working with calories as opposed to carbs...calories is simple math. Burn more than you take in, and you lose weight. My carbs are usually 55-60% of my intake (not low carb by any stretch) and I have lost steadily from Jan. 5th and am at my goal weight. I just choose smarter carbs, like fruit and whole grains. But you have to find what works for you personally, and what you will stick with. That may be low carb, may be low calorie, or some combination.

Good luck!

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote