View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

Default The most important thing is to know your own body

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaAnnie View Post
I don't know if this will help or not, but I heard that calorie "cycling" can help overcome plateaus. The idea is to eat 1500 kcal one day, then 1000 the next, then 600 the next day and then back up to 1200 of primarily lean protein, and fresh veg & fruits.

I second the calorie cycling, though those numbers from the post above aren't set in stone. I used this site to figure out my recommended calories per day; click on the 7-day cycle link:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

The idea behind not going too low is the notion that the body will go into starvation mode and actually cause you to burn fewer calories in an attempt to hold onto its reserves. It also supposedly gets used to burning fewer calories so that when you are at your desired weight and go up to eating a normal calorie load again, your metabolism is slowed down enough that you put weight on very easily.

The most important thing is to know your own body. Many on here have experienced not being able to lose below a certain amount of calories; many have done lower calorie diets with success. Everyone is different. I had always believed that lower calories was better, but when I started FitDay and did the calculations of still being able to lose while eating more calories, that was the only time I ever had success. I can't lose a darn thing on 1000 calories a day, but I lost great on 1250-1350. But that is just how it works for me and my metabolism.

Generally, my premise is, if it works for you, do it; if it doesn't work for you, don't do it. Just giving you the rationale as you asked. Good luck in your journey and don't be afraid to experiment with different things to find out what's best for you

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: added quote, title