View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
rpmcduff
FitDay Member

Default One size does not fit all

When your body goes into starvation mode is dependent on many factors including genetics. Some posters here on FitDay have stated that they have to eat 1000 calories or less to lose weight. (I believe the person I remember is female and 5' or less.) She got blasted by the one size fits all proponents that said she was starving herself. The truth is that the old rule that you cannot eat less than 1200 calories or you will go into starvation mode doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. (I personally believe caloric deficit, not just caloric intake, is the primary factor in triggering the bodies preservation mode.)

That said, you need to find what works for you.

Some suggestions:

Try to space your meals so you're not eating the majority of your calories in a short period and creating a calorie surplus that your body has to store.

Limit or eliminate simple carbohydrates like processed foods, white bread and sugar that are quickly metabolized and thus have a high probability that they will be stored as fat rather than converted to energy.

Incorporate some additional activity, even if it is only walking, into your day. The exercise helps to increase your metabolism and relieves stress that can hinder weight loss.

Good luck on your journey!

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200

My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-07-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added title