View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
RunbikeSki
FitDay Premium Member

Default Doctor's explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farr1022 View Post
Seemed to have hit a plateau and need some tips on how to bust it. Lost 50lbs and have not lost much of anything in two weeks. What have you guys done to get through a plateau?
Hi Farr,
I lost 30 lbs over a 3 month period. As I approached the 30lbs goal it was getting harder and harder... a plateau. My Dr. explained the phenomenon this way: Imagine you are stretching a rubber band from point A (your starting point) to Point B (your goal). As you approach point B it gets harder and harder to stretch the rubber band resulting in a slowing of the weight loss process.

His recommendation is that once you reach a goal (in his opinion no more that 50 lbs in a stretch) increase your calories to your new "maintenence" load for 2 or 3 weeks while your body adjusts to your new size and shape. This allows point A to slide closer to your current weight so that when you start dieting again the rubber band will have a lot more stretch left.

I still have about 10 more pounds to lose. But at the moment I am just trying to find that maintenece calorie load - it is a little harder than I thought. I'll shoot for those last 10 in a few more weeks. I'll let you know if my Dr's theory pans out.

Moderator's Note: It did pan out: See Post #33 in this thread.

Pam

2.5 years, 45 pounds later... 128ish pounds

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-08-2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: added quote