View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
rpmcduff
FitDay Member

Default 35/25/40

There is no magic ratio that will make you lose weight. But there are some factors that the ratio reflects that will. Higher protein intake will help you maintain muscle while dieting. This is important because you want to lose stored fat not muscle. A certain amount of fat is needed for your body to operated efficiently. In addition fat is easier for your body to use as energy than to store as fat, and it provides a feeling of fullness when consumed. If you never fell full you will probably cheat on your diet. Carbohydrates are also needed to supply the energy your body needs. However simple carbohydrates like refined flour and refined sugar are actually easier for your body to store as fat deposits than to convert to energy. Since most of use here are trying to lose the fat these should be the foods that are consumed at a minimum.

I have been tracking my diet since January 2010 and my Carbs/Protein/Fats ratio is 35/25/40. However my caloric deficit is in the 500-600 range daily. I have lost 18 pounds since I started tracking. My Fat sources are all good, Olive Oil, nuts, eggs, and whole milk. The whole milk is one reason my fat ratio is higher than some others. I have it almost daily for breakfast and I believe it helps me to feel fuller so I can avoid those pesky (and high in simple carbs) doughnuts that always seem to show up at work. After having milk with breakfast I drink only water and coffee the rest of the day. My carbs are mostly from fruits and vegetables or complex carbs like whole grain bread. (Although I will have a pasta dish once a week.) Protein is from Protein bars, Whey shakes, eggs, nuts and meat. Keeping your calories in the 500-600 deficit daily will allow you to lose 1-1/2 to 2 pounds a week.

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200

My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-02-2012 at 04:28 PM.