View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
cjohnson728
Super Moderator

I had heard this but I hadn't heard her rationale about her food.

I did, however, hear that she is making big $$$ for endorsing a drug, though, which I suppose was her motivation for going public.

I had lunch yesterday with a friend, a "good ol' Southern boy" who is familiar with Ms. Deen but does not know her personally. He indicated that the way she cooks is supposedly not the way she and her family eat...in fact, one of her sons I believe has a healthier (?) cookbook that is "Not My Mother's Recipes" or something like that.

But all that aside, I am in total agreement with y'all, since one of my biggest soapboxes is personal responsibility. Paula Deen does not make you cook her food, nor does she stick it in your mouth. She doesn't make you watch her show and tempt yourself, and she certainly doesn't prevent you from figuring up the nutrition information in her recipes so you know exactly what you're choosing to eat. Anyone that stands to make a buck has a load of tricks to make you think their food is irresistible, but at some point, you have to take responsibility and just say no, if you want to make changes. If not, that's completely up to you, but Paula Deen, McDonald's, and the delicious-looking ads in the grocery store, television, or internet pages aren't the reason for anyone to eat.

I'm another one in the camp of not depriving myself all the time...some times I have to, like when I'm trying to get back on track, but for an indefinite period of time, that would never work and would backfire severely; I have learned that lesson way too often.

P.S., Thanks, April, for bringing up Boston creme pie...NOT!

And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck

Last edited by cjohnson728; 01-18-2012 at 08:52 PM.
cjohnson728 is offline   Reply With Quote