Notices

Paula Deen & Nutrition

Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 AM
FitDay Member

Default Paula Deen & Nutrition

I'm not much about celebrity news but I heard this on the radio today that I found interesting:

Paula Deen (a celebrity chef known for her unhealthy cooking) was diagnosed with diabetes. From the little that I gathered, people have asked her if she will change her ways of cooking to something more healthier - especially since she is an influence to many of her fans/audience. Her answer: no.

Her reasoning is, and I am summarizing this, that her show and her recipes are not the problem but the problem is people's lack of portion control. That many don't know or have the will power to cut down their portion sizes.

Personally, I agree with her (to an extent). This is the entire debate about McDonald's making people obese. I think that in the end it is our responsibility of what goes into our mouths (he he he ) or not.

What do you think?

BTW: I am not sure if this is the right area to post this tread. I figure it discusses nutrition.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

If what she is saying with that is that she herself also has no portion control then I do agree with her. I have so far lost my weight while still eating things that may not be truely the most nutritious. Last night I had a slice of boston creme pie. Did I eat a 1/4 of the cake like before? Nope, I had a small slice and was very satisfied with what I had. My hubby is making a hamburger helper tonight with broccoli as a side dish. I will load up on broccoli and have a little of the pasta. Not an ideal "dieters" meal but it works for us. I can't completely cut out all of the foods that I adore. If I did that, one day I would just go hog wild and it would be all over but the finger licking!

People look for reason to sue anybody over anything now. I think it is ridiculous. I think that every person within reason is responsible for their own well being. You honestly can't sue McDonald's because they are making you fat. You choose to go eat there and they have other options too.

****Side note...another reason not to eat at McDonald's....I heard on the radio that a lady was propositioning people in the drive-thru to buy her McNuggets and she would do 'favors' for them! Cheapest prostitute ever!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

I had heard this but I hadn't heard her rationale about her food.

I did, however, hear that she is making big $$$ for endorsing a drug, though, which I suppose was her motivation for going public.

I had lunch yesterday with a friend, a "good ol' Southern boy" who is familiar with Ms. Deen but does not know her personally. He indicated that the way she cooks is supposedly not the way she and her family eat...in fact, one of her sons I believe has a healthier (?) cookbook that is "Not My Mother's Recipes" or something like that.

But all that aside, I am in total agreement with y'all, since one of my biggest soapboxes is personal responsibility. Paula Deen does not make you cook her food, nor does she stick it in your mouth. She doesn't make you watch her show and tempt yourself, and she certainly doesn't prevent you from figuring up the nutrition information in her recipes so you know exactly what you're choosing to eat. Anyone that stands to make a buck has a load of tricks to make you think their food is irresistible, but at some point, you have to take responsibility and just say no, if you want to make changes. If not, that's completely up to you, but Paula Deen, McDonald's, and the delicious-looking ads in the grocery store, television, or internet pages aren't the reason for anyone to eat.

I'm another one in the camp of not depriving myself all the time...some times I have to, like when I'm trying to get back on track, but for an indefinite period of time, that would never work and would backfire severely; I have learned that lesson way too often.

P.S., Thanks, April, for bringing up Boston creme pie...NOT!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 01-18-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Actively_Funny
I'm not much about celebrity news but I heard this on the radio today that I found interesting:

Paula Deen (a celebrity chef known for her unhealthy cooking) was diagnosed with diabetes. From the little that I gathered, people have asked her if she will change her ways of cooking to something more healthier - especially since she is an influence to many of her fans/audience. Her answer: no.

Her reasoning is, and I am summarizing this, that her show and her recipes are not the problem but the problem is people's lack of portion control. That many don't know or have the will power to cut down their portion sizes.

Personally, I agree with her (to an extent). This is the entire debate about McDonald's making people obese. I think that in the end it is our responsibility of what goes into our mouths (he he he ) or not.

What do you think?

BTW: I am not sure if this is the right area to post this tread. I figure it discusses nutrition.
I'll try this again, I had a great reply made and something happened when I pushed Submit reply...

It is all about portion control. Our plates have gotten bigger, even our silverware has gotten bigger. Remember when a BIG GULP was a HUGE AMOUNT soda? a "Whopper" is supposed to be just that... a WHOPPER of a sandwich. Webster's defines Whopper as "something unusually large or otherwise extreme of its kind." We define it as "Lunch" along with fries or a nice "healthy" salad... and a drink. No one is to blame but your hands and your mouth and your silly, silly brain for tricking you into thinking... "this is normal".

I've lost 20% of my weight by simple portion control. I have not deprived myself of anything.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:44 AM
FitDay Member

I am a 1 yr insulin dependant diabetic who struggles every day with diet. And not because I overeat. People don't realize how hard it is for a diabetic to balance weight loss with working out while eating enough food to prevent those very dangerous low blood sugar episodes. There is a very delicate balance. I find Paula Deen's take on all of this incredibly insulting, and its even more insulting that a drug company would pay her to endorse their product, when she doesnt even advocate a diabetic way of eating. She certainly doesnt speak for me, and I refuse to endorse whatever both groups are selling.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jonjaxmom
I am a 1 yr insulin dependant diabetic who struggles every day with diet. And not because I overeat. People don't realize how hard it is for a diabetic to balance weight loss with working out while eating enough food to prevent those very dangerous low blood sugar episodes. There is a very delicate balance. I find Paula Deen's take on all of this incredibly insulting, and its even more insulting that a drug company would pay her to endorse their product, when she doesnt even advocate a diabetic way of eating. She certainly doesnt speak for me, and I refuse to endorse whatever both groups are selling.
It is nice to read the point of view of someone who is diabetic themselves. Thank you for sharing.

Drugs, ugh....oh how I don't like them. That is a business that can do so much for a community but it focuses on their profit.

I am very happy to read that all of you have taken control of your diets. I find that to be a real success. Many people who go on diets don't understand that they need to control their food vs the food/diet controlling them. Healthy eating shouldn't be just a diet. It is intended to be a life choice. Balance your meals and don't be afraid or shy to treat yourself from time to time just remember the goal: to be healthy and live long!

Congrats to all of you!