Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Slidell, Louisiana
Stop with the excuses
First off, a little about me. I'm a 38 year old dad, I gained the typical pound or two a year and it slowly started to add up. Then I went from an active job to a desk job, but didn't change my eating habits and guess what??? I got fat! It wasn't until I quit making excuses and realized that I was the problem, that's right, me... I was the reason why I was fat, that I could make a change. My job changed and I didn't. I finally put my excuses aside and started eating better, took the stairs instead of the elevator, started walking, drank only water... a lot of water. Before I knew it, the weight started to fall off. "How fast?" you may ask, how about my first 20 pounds took all of 42 days! So lets set this straight, it took FAR LESS time to take it off than it did to put it on, once I dropped the excuses.
I'm not going to bore you with statistics, nor do I have the time for them. This is from my heart, not something that I copy and pasted! Being fat will likely decrease your life span and the time you do have alive will not be as enjoyable as it could have been. You'll probably spend more time on your sofa or favorite chair than you will outside enjoying good weather.
So let me ask you this... have you made the commitment to truly change yourself, for YOURSELF or are you making excuses?
People know that for alcoholics & drug addicts to recover, the first step is to admit that there is a problem... not to make excuses. So why do we make so many excuses yet expect to change? Here's are some common excuses that fat people (yes I said the "F" word again) make.
1) "I can't afford to eat healthy." - Can you afford to be unhealthy? Can you afford to have a double bypass? Can you afford to leave your children early?
2) "I can't afford a gym membership." - Get off your ass and walk, it's free! Quit waiting for that parking spot b/c it's closer to the door of Wal Mart, walk dammit!
3) "I don't have the time, I have a family to take care of." - Get off your ass and go play with your kids. Take them to the park and do something with them, don't just sit there. Turn off American Idol or Survivor and go walk.
4) "It's in my genes, I come from a big family." - This may be true, it's in you JEANS b/c you came from a lazy family that had poor eating habits. Now it's your turn to break the cycle for your family!
5) "It's my thyroid..." - Really, did your doctor say this? If so what are you and your doctor doing to correct this? Are you still doing the things that I suggested for #2 & #3?
6) "I'm alone in this, I hate cooking big meals and I don't have anyone to exercise with." - blah, blah, blah. You are responsible for keeping yourself in shape so why avoid exercising b/c you don't have a partner? Do it FOR YOURSELF, even if it is BY YOURSELF! Cook a big healthy meal and package it up for future use. This will also save you time, more time to go for a walk.
7) "I have big bones." - Since when did big bones help add a double chin, or arms that keep waving after you've stopped?
The list of excuses can go on and on. If what I'm saying offends you, then you may be hanging on to your excuse. It's time to wake up people and realize that we are the problem, quit blaming others and making excuses.
Once you get to where you want to be, you'll be glad you did!
Like I said, I was fat. But it didn't take me that long to get where I am today. I feel great and my overall health is much better!
Last edited by VitoVino; 01-19-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Reason: added title