Notices

Looking for advice

Old 03-26-2010, 05:23 AM
FitDay Member

Default Looking for advice

So after 1 week being part of FitDay, with pretty much daily exercise and keeping safely under the calorie restraint so as to meet my weight loss goal - I gained 3 pounds! I was starting to suspect it was a little too easy to get through the week. Sure, I had to cut back on some things and make myself exercise, but it was all rather easy as long as I kept busy and just didn't sit around willing the weight gone. I don't know what to do :/ if I cut back anymore calories I doubt i will be able to keep up with it for very long, and it's so frustrating because I can't work out very hard, being sick. Perhaps sickness has something to do with the gain?
Anyway, advice would be most helpful at this point. I'm not giving up yet, but it's pretty lame that I don't even know if the program will work for me :/
Old 03-26-2010, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

When I first started dieting and exercising daily I plateaued for a while and then gained a bit. You might just be building muscle mass, which is denser than fat and can cause the needle on the scale to flop around for a while. The other question I would ask is are you measuring your food or just guessing? I was guessing at first and consequently not recording things accurately. You also want to be reading all the labels on all the food you eat and making sure the fitday log is accurate that way as well. Also did you weigh yourself at the same time of day that you weighed yourself before? This can make as much as a 5 pound difference on any given day. I suppose sickness could cause a 3 pound weight fluctuation too. Truthfully I think you have to do this longer than a week to see real results. Have you committed to it for a certain time period?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:41 AM
FitDay Member

you say you stayed safely under your calorie restriction - not sure what you meant by that but if you were too low, it could be part of the reason you didn't lose anything.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

It took me about 6 weeks until I lost any weight. But, I did lose several inches and my clothes fit a lot better, so I knew it was working. Keep it up and give it a while before telling yourself that it's not working. Even if you don't lose weight at the beginning, you are exercising and eating better, so that is a positive! And if you do a lot of weight training, use a different gauge other than weight.

If I workout hard each week, I tend to lose less quickly because I put on muscle. If I do mostly cardio, I lose more quickly. It's a catch 22 with weight loss, because muscle helps burn calories, but it also weighs more...
Old 03-31-2010, 02:26 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with everything said here and also recommend that you take measurements to keep track. I think that most people go through periods of staying on track but seeing very little results. Stay determined, it's the only way to reach your goal. Think of it as a setback, not a reason to give up. You can do it...you ARE doing it.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:35 AM
FitDay Member

I've had experiences like that, and it can be frustrating. In fact, a few times I've given up completely. It's like, if I gain weight on 1300 calories a day, then to heck with it. I don't want to have to eat 800 calories a day just to lose weight as a discernible rate.

Usually it just turns out to we water or whatever is in my digestive system, I think. A cup of water weighs a pound, and sometimes we hold onto a bit of extra water. Or other stuff.

Sometimes people say it might be muscle gain, but in my personal experience, I have to do a lot heavy (for me) weight lifting before I gain enough muscle to register on the scale. Some people seem to build muscle more quickly, though, so if you've been doing strength training, then perhaps.

If you want to tell us how much you weigh and how many calories you are eating, that might help.