Notices

ribeye steak

Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default ribeye steak

I did a seach on the food calorie thing here. Just for giggles I looked up ribeye streak. For a common 6oz steak it has:
300.8 calories, with 47 from fat
no carbs and 50 grams of protein.

My question is would this be alright to eat a couple of times a week.
I hate just about all fish and getting pretty darn tired of turkey and chicken.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

That depends on you really. Are you going to get in enough of a workout a couple of times a week to burn it off? If so then go ahead and eat it.

Have you considered venison? It's leaner than beef, and some cuts taste almost the same as beef. At our house we also like very lean pork tenderloin, you might try it for a change from poultry. You might also try making turkey burger into meatloaf, shepard's pie, chili or jambolaya. In those dishes my family can't tell the difference between turkey and ground beef.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
That depends on you really. Are you going to get in enough of a workout a couple of times a week to burn it off? If so then go ahead and eat it.

Have you considered venison? It's leaner than beef, and some cuts taste almost the same as beef. At our house we also like very lean pork tenderloin, you might try it for a change from poultry. You might also try making turkey burger into meatloaf, shepard's pie, chili or jambolaya. In those dishes my family can't tell the difference between turkey and ground beef.

I'm doing p90x lean, but I'm going to swap the cardio x and kenpo for trail running with some light weight lifting.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

We eat red meat a couple times a week. I tend to border on being anemic at times and I like the protein it provides. My cholesterol is 115 so I don't think it's gotten me to the verge of a heart attack. Have you had lab work done lately and is anything in a concerning range? If so, you may want to avoid it for some other options.

I would think that the fat would be more problematic than the calories to overall health. I'm not sure because I don't get ribeye, but I believe it is one of the fattier cuts...one of the marbled ones?

If you are concerned, you could maybe switch to a leaner cut, and be sure that you cook it in a healthy way (I live in the South, and people really fry steak here...)

Check out this chart for leaner cuts of meat for comparison's sake, if you're interested.

http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/leanbeef.aspx

Last edited by cjohnson728; 03-19-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM
FitDay Member

I use "ground sirloin" instead of hamburger, it's the leanest ground beef you can get. >95% lean. It is more per lb, but you can use a smaller package because it doesn't lose volume when you cook it. There's no fat to drain off when it's cooked either. I also make beef stew and pot roast with the leanest cuts I can find, and trim off all visible fat. Still more fat than a chicken breast but better than a marbled steak. I hear ostrich is a good lean red meat if you can find it, but unfortunately it's not available near me. I get anemic as well, so if I try to cut red meat out of my diet completey I get really intense cravings for it.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
I use "ground sirloin" instead of hamburger, it's the leanest ground beef you can get. >95% lean. It is more per lb, but you can use a smaller package because it doesn't lose volume when you cook it. There's no fat to drain off when it's cooked either. I also make beef stew and pot roast with the leanest cuts I can find, and trim off all visible fat. Still more fat than a chicken breast but better than a marbled steak. I hear ostrich is a good lean red meat if you can find it, but unfortunately it's not available near me. I get anemic as well, so if I try to cut red meat out of my diet completey I get really intense cravings for it.

My wife made sirloin burgers the other day. She grilled them on the George Foreman and I have to say, it was pretty nice having something like that. I've not had a hamburger in quite a while.

Now if I can just figure out how to get some french fries (without baking them) lol
Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
FitDay Member

On the french fries: look for organic frozen ones, they tend to be a lot lower in sat fats and sodium. I buy several organic products not because they're organic, but because they're prepared better. I buy Alexia brand, they come in a white bag and they have waffle fries and a lot of different flavors. It's still a "splurge" food but a lot better than ordinary fries.