Notices

FAQ's/Newbie Q & A, How To's, Supporting Links & Tips

Old 12-17-2011, 01:50 AM
FitDay Member

Arrow FAQ's/Newbie Q & A, How To's, Supporting Links & Tips

This thread serves the following purposes:

1) Addresses Frequently Asked Questions/Newbie Q & A (Posts 1 & 2)
2) References key "How To" threads (Posts 3-6)
3) Provides instructions for using FitDay Discussions (Post 7)
4) Lists supporting external links (Post 8)
5) Supplies Tips (Posts 9-11)

If you don't see something on this thread that you're looking for, feel free to PM VitoVino.

The thread is constantly updated so check back often!

FAQ's/Newbie Q & A (part 1/2)

Q: I'm not familiar with navigating a bulletin board such as this. What should I do?

A: Read Post #7 ('Forum Navigation & Tips') for assistance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Is there a page for the Official FitDay FAQ's?

A: Yes. Frequently Asked Support Questions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How can I contact FitDay directly?

A:

- Support, via online form: Contact Us

- Via E mail: [email protected]

- Forum issues only (did you check for an answer first?) Send an Email to the Forum Administrator

Q: Is there a thread where I can request a Diet Buddy?

A: Yes. Request your diet buddy here

Q: What's an easy way to search for topical information?

A: Using the "Tag Cloud" produces good results (better than searching for individual words using the "Search" feature) FitDay Discussion Boards - Tags

Q:
There's no spot for sugar when I'm creating a custom food. Is sugar the same as alcohol?

A:
No, it's not. Sugars and alcohol the same?

Q: OK, but WHY does FitDay not track sugar?

A: Sugar is already counted in the carbohydrates

Q: Can I track a custom nutrient such as fiber?

A: Yes. While in your Food Journal, select the "Custom Nutrition Goals" tab (just above the pie chart) then click on "Setup your Nutrient Goals" under 'More info'.

Q:
Does the online FitDay software track 'net carbs'?

A: Not at this time. However, FitDay PC does. FitDay PC shows you Net Carbs

Q: What do I do if I'm trying to gain weight? I can't set a goal!

A:
Correct, you cannot set a goal greater than your current weight in Classic. However, FD will still track your calorie surplus, micro and macronutrients. You will still be able to generate reports and FD will prove to be an invaluable tool even though you can't set a higher weight goal.

The good news is, with FD 2.0 this will be addressed:

Weight gain planned for version 2.0

Q: Is there an upper limit to the foods I can add to my daily Food Journal?

A: Yes. The number is 50. See this thread for further information/tips Tip for how to stay under 50 entries

Q: Exactly how many calories should I be eating every day?

A: It depends on what you're trying to achieve, what kind of weight loss goal you've set for yourself. But to lose weight in a healthy way, it's recommended that you don't lose more than 1-2 pounds a week. If you're a female, this thread will help FitDay's Best of Series: How many daily calories for a woman?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I'm a woman and I'm looking for support from others. What should I do?

A: We have a terrific stickied 7 Day Motivational Thread in the Women's Only Corner. Just jump right in and join the fun!

Q: Can I create a custom activity?

A: No, it's not possible at this time. But it will be a part of FitDay 2.0 FitDay 2.0 Improvements

Q: But I need something now. I'm doing the elliptical machine. What should I do?

A: Good advice on how to log Elliptical

Q: What about other activities not listed in the database?

A: Estimating calories burned for activities not listed in database will have all the information that you need to adjust a FD activity to match what you're doing. You will also find this calculator a big help: Calories Burned during various exercises

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: I'm a little confused about "Lifestyle". Where can I get a little more information and possibly ask some questions if I have any?

A: Help understanding "Lifestyle"

Q: Where can I get a better understanding of Baseline Metabolism?

A: Basline Metabolism Question

Q: Do you have any tips for customizing my Baseline Metabolism?

A: Custom Baseline Metabolism

Q: Does the "Lifestyle" BMR setting include sleep?

A: Many members have found that adding sleep (as an added activity) generates a more accurate BMR number Adding sleep as an activity

Q: Can I track the amount of water that I take in?

A: Yes, as a custom nutrient (see above). If you enter FitDay's existing foods from the database, the amount of water is included in your nutrition reports. If you're using only custom foods, that's different.

Q: OK. Is there a way for me to set up a custom 'food' to include water content?

A: Custom Food to include water content

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-15-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default FAQ's/Newbie Q & A's (Part 2 of 2)

FAQ's/Newbie Q & A (part 2/2)

Q: How much water should I drink?

A: Drinking water is important for weight loss

Q: Can I use FitDay to help me maintain a healthy weight?

A:
Yes. How to use FitDay for MAINTENANCE

Q: What are the favorite exercises to burn calories?

A:
FitDay members favorite exercises

Q: How about for low impact exercises?

A: Threads Tagged with low impact exercise

Q: I enjoy walking/running/cycling. Where can I share with others?

A: TEAM FitDay is an active thread with our very own volunteer coach.

Q: Where can I find good, general exercise advice?

A:
We now have a thread called Coach's Corner offering 35 years of personal experience. Fire away!

Q:
Where can I find weight loss tips from other members of this site?

A: FitDay's Best of Series: Tips for Weight Loss

Q: What are forum "Tags" and how are they used?

A: What are Forum Tags?

Q: I've done a "Tag Cloud" content search and I still have a question and/or I would like to add new content to the Forum. What should I do?

A: You are welcome to start your own thread, of course.

Q: Is there a general thread for (coed) weight loss accountability?

A: Friday Weigh-In Gang

Q: How about a thread for those trying to lose 100+ pounds?

A:
The Official Unisex 100 pounds to Lose Thread

Q:
I've seen the term "eating clean" around the forums. What exactly does this mean?

A: "Eating clean" means, basically, eating the right kinds of proteins, carbohydrates, and fats.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Is there an Android app?

A: No. But there are plans for one: High Priority You may also suggest your approval for one here Android App?

Q: How about a Blackberry, is there an app?

A: No. And you may suggest to FitDay that they need one here Blackberry App?

Q: And where can I request a Windows Phone 7 App?

A: Windows Phone 7 App

Q: Where can I find professionally written, high quality health/diet related articles?

A: The The FitDay Featured Fitness & Nutrition Articles are second to none!

Q: What are the differences between FitDay, FitDay PC, and FitDay Premium?

A: Differences between FitDay, FitDay PC, and FitDay Premium

Q: Where is the customer support home for FitDay PC?

A:
Customer Support Home

Q:
Who are the Moderators and Administrators of this site?

A: FitDay Discussion Boards - Show Groups

Q: How do I report spam?

A: Spam Alert!

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-28-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default FitDay "Friends" aka "Fitness Buddies" - What are they and how to?

You may want to start using this feature of FitDay in order to share your Journals with select people.

Using this part of the FitDay program serves three key purposes:

1) It allows "friends", otherwise known as "fitness buddies" to view each other's Food Journal for ideas on what healthy foods they are eating. It's also a way to share Custom Foods privately; unfortunately copying of foods cannot be done directly at this time.

2) Other Journals can be shared privately as well, such as the Activities Journal and Weight Change.

3) You can leave comments, links, etc. on a friend's profile page. So it's a little like Facebook in this way. It's another way to help build community and friends here on FitDay.

Here's how to setup FitDay Friends/Fitness Buddies:

You have to make at least one part of your Fitness Journal public. A good choice would be the "Weight" section, since most here are open about this information. Make all your choices as to what you want 'Public', 'Friends', 'Private'. Go to "Profile" then "Public Settings Page" to do this.

The journal has to be public (at least one part) to get a friend request. If you don't want any friend requests keep all your journal settings to Private. OR, once you've got all the friends that you want, make all of your settings "Friends only".

Once you make a part of your journal public, there's a find member search at the top of page of your "Public Pages". Or the search can be performed from your Public Settings Page. The search will find members that have public journals only. The member name must be typed exactly when doing a search.

If a member name does not come up in the search, and it was typed exactly, then that person does not have ANY part of their Fitness Journal set to public. You may send them a PM requesting them to do so.

Once a member's page comes up in the search, look in the left hand upper corner and there is a button to send a friend request. It's a good idea to also send the person a PM to notify them that you've sent them a "Fitness Journal friend request" and give them the link to their home page for convenience.

Once they accept you as a friend, then you can view whatever logs they set for public/friends. The friendship is mutual; the person that accepted the friend request does not have to do anything further.

You and your friend may now leave messages on your Fitness Journal home pages, as well as view whatever content is allowed. Comments/content cannot be viewed by anyone except those friends (not even Moderators).

Good luck, and enjoy this fun feature of FitDay!

For further information, view this thread: How To Add FitDay Friends for Journal Sharing

You may also request a Diet Buddy here: New here - looking for a diet buddy...?

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-27-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default How to create a custom recipe with FitDay online

The FitDay PC version has a recipe builder. The online version of FitDay does not. If you'd like to build a recipe without purchasing the PC software here's a way to do it.

How to do a Recipe on FitDay

Also, if you do a tag search for "recipe builder" you may find some other useful suggestions.

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-16-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default How to create a custom food for weight or measure

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post38893

And once you've created your custom food, here's a tip on how to use prefixes to make life easier:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post54959
Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Logging Supplements using FitDay

1. Logging supplements:

How to log supplements

2. What's the difference between 'Daily Values' and FD's RDA Graphs?

Entering and making sense of Vitamin's and Minerals

Originally Posted by fitday_jim
This confuses lots of people.

Essentially there is confusion around the "Daily Values" found on food labels and the RDA graphs in FitDay. The US government uses Daily Values for the values on a food label. These values are picked by the government to be useful without knowing the person's age and gender. FitDay takes those numbers and turns them into an amount ( for example 100% of Vitamin C becomes 60mg).

FitDay displays RDA charts in our reports.Your RDA for a nutrient is a different government standard that takes into account things like your age and gender. These are things that the label couldn't take into account. So while the DV was 100%, your personal RDA may be 110% because you need less due to your age and gender.

This can be confusing, but I hope this helps
Old 12-24-2011, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

Cool Forum Navigation & Tips

Forum Navigation & Tips

Q: What should be one of the first things I do after joining FitDay Discussions for the first time?

A: Set up your preferences. Click on "User CP" (control panel) on the top blue toolbar (near the top of the page) and then select "Edit Options" from the column on the left side.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What should I do next?

A: That depends. Many members decide to upload an avatar and adding a signature but others do not. Both are accessed from the User CP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What should I do prior to posting a new thread asking a question?

A: Perform a search http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...g-request.html

Q: What's an easy way to search for topical information?

A: Using the "Tag Cloud" produces good results (better than searching for individual words using the "Search" feature) FitDay Discussion Boards - Tags

Q: How do I add a signature to my forum posts?

A: How to add a signature

Q:
How do I subscribe to a thread?

A: Click on "Thread Tools" in the lower blue toolbar near the top of the page. Select "Subscribe to this Thread".

Q:
Can I subscribe to a Sub Forum?

A: Yes. For example, if you wish to subscribe to the sub forum "Food Talk", once you are in the main sub forum click on "Forum Tools" in the lower blue toolbar, then select "Subscribe to this Forum".

Q: How do I check Discussions to see if someone has posted to one of my subscribed threads or forums?

A: Click on "User CP" in the top blue toolbar. This will take you to your subscription notifications, if any.

Q: What's the easiest way to see what current topics are being discussed?

A: Click on "Quick Links" in the top blue toolbar, then select 'Today's Posts'.

Q:
What are contacts?

A:
They are members that you've added to your contact list. This allows you to know when they are on line, within Discussions, and also allows you quick access to privately message them.

Q: How do I add contacts?

A: Find a post made by the member. Click on their user name (just above the avatar) and select "Add to Your Contacts".

Q:
Is there another way?

A:
The alternative way is to type (exacly) the member's name in the search box "Add a Member to Your List..." while in the Contacts area of the User CP.

Q: How do I remove contacts?

A:
From the User CP. Once in the user control panel, select "Contacts" from the column on the left side of the page, then uncheck any member you wish to remove from your list. Save.

Q: How do you rate threads?

A: At the top of the thread click the little triangle next to "Rating", make your choice, and VOTE!

Q: My thread that I started got moved. Why?

A:
Probably because it was in the wrong forum, or a Moderator felt it was better placed elsewhere.

Q: I started a thread asking a question and it was merged into another thread. Why?

A: Probably because the question is a commonly asked one, answered many times before. The answer you were seeking is not only located on the merged thread, but merging threads helps to keep the Forums organized.

Q: Why are threads closed?

A: For various Administrative reasons at a Moderator's discretion. For example:

- the topic is no longer valid for the current software
- it's located in Feedback & Support, and the original question was answered
- it may be a heated topic and closed to prevent arguments
- it may have gone in too many directions, thus confusing
- it may be redundant
- the thread has run its course
- commenting is unnecessary because it's an Administrative thread

TIP: Before replying to the OP (Original Poster/Original Post in a thread) you may want to take a few moments to read the following, especially if you are unfamiliar with "forum trolls":

Example of an OP wasting people's time

Q: Can I get my user name changed?

A: Under a strict set of conditions it is possible. Refer to this thread for HOW: How to change user name?

You may also use this thread to ask a specific question if it's not already covered.

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-30-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 AM
FitDay Member

LINKS

Supplemental:

The official FitDay supporting links

FitDay.Com | Facebook

FREE Printable Food Diary Template

Walk, Jog, Run Training Diaries

Your Smileys: Hotlinked animated emoticons for Forums

Free avatars 1, sizable

Free avatars 2, sizable

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting - Hotlinked free storage

Photobucket Image Hosting, Hotlinked free storage

Add "bubble" captions to pictures: icanhascheezburger.com/

Reference:

USDA *Nutrient* Database of Foods

Detailed Listing of Acid / Alkaline Forming Foods

The Glycemic Index: Search for the Glycemic Index of foods

Glycemic Index Foods List.pdf

Carbohydrates Information

Recommended Daily Allowances :: RDA Chart | RDA Table

Nutrient Recommendations : Dietary Reference Intakes (DRI)

Daily Values (DVs) Tables

Calculators:

Ounces to Grams (oz to g) conversion calculator

Grams to Ounces (g to oz) conversion calculator

Kg/Lbs Converter

Interactive DRI for Healthcare Professionals

How many calories should I eat? - BMR Calculator

7-Day Calorie Cycle Calculator (zig zag)

Daily Calorie Needs Calculator

Calculate grams of alcohol from %

Protein Calculator

Macronutrient Calculator

BMI, % Body Fat, Lean Body Mass Calculator

Body Fat Calculator Using Calipers

BMI Calculator

Body Weight, Fat and Mass (IDEAL body weight)

Body Frame Calculator

L-Carnitine Calculator

Body Composition Spreadsheet

Sub Calorie Calculator #1

Sub Calorie Calculator #2

Exercise:

Ab Exercises (includes videos)

Free online workout videos:

Calories Burned during various exercises

Steps to Miles Calculator

Training pace (running) Calculator

Calories and Power as a Function of Heart Rate

VO2max & Rockport Test Calculator

Importance of Magnesium & Athletics

Key Nutrients/Supplements:

Magnesium RDA for Magnesium too low?

CoQ10 The Wonder Nutrient

Green Tea Confirmed as a weight loss nutrient

Other:

The FitDay Store

The Best of Raw Food

The World's Healthiest Foods

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

Promo codes for Diets and Exercise Equipment: Diets Reviews + Coupons + Promo codes

Coupon for $10 off FitDay PC: Coupon

Suggestions? Send me a PM.

Last edited by VitoVino; 04-05-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added body fat calculator using calipers
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up FitDay's Best of Series...

The following threads are "one stop shopping places" for the best advice FitDay members have given regarding various topics of interest.

- FitDay's Best of Series: Tips for Weight Loss

- FitDay's Best of Series: Breaking a plateau

- FitDay's Best of Series: How much protein?

- FitDay's Best of Series: Macronutrients (Carbs/Protein/Fats)

- FitDay's Best of Series: Healthy Snacks

- FitDay's Best of Series: # of Calories for WOMEN?

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-10-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Of Spammers & Trolls

Believe it or not, besides the constant barrage of spam on this board, we also get the occasional troll.

Trolls are people who post to an online community with the intent of causing disruption, controversy, and infighting. That is their only goal with their presence, to generate negative emotional responses. They find creating havoc as a form of amusement while they sit in the comfort of their homes.

All online communities get the occasional troll, and some, such as IMDb are so overrun with trolls that regular members decide to stop posting there. Sometimes this is the troll's larger goal: to drive members away from a site.

If you're unfamiliar with the term "troll" or their tactics, you'll find more good general information here:

Depiction of the childish, nose picking, disgusting troll

Last edited by VitoVino; 02-11-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.