Notices

Dealing with tired and hungry

Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 PM
FitDay Member

Default Dealing with tired and hungry

(I couldn't find any other forum to put this in, so it's here.)

This is my first week back to restricting my food intake. I'm basically tired and hungry most of the time (sleeping keeps my brain from listening to my stomach). I understand why I'm hungry - body is dealing with less food and has to use the fat stores - but that doesn't make it less upsetting and bothersome. I spent last evening crying in the bedroom because I was hungry and wanted to eat to make the stomach pains go away, but I knew I would just pig out. It's worse in the late afternoon/evening, even with breaking my meals into 6 per day.

I have no idea why I'm tired, though, except my brain is telling me to sleep to better deal with the hunger. I'm going to bed and getting up earlier, getting 6 hours of actual sleep (last night). Last night, I went to bed at 11p, lay awake crying/calming down for 2 hours, slept until 6a and lay awake for another 2 hours. I end up napping during the day which is fine.

Just needed to get this out.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Hello, zyxst. Welcome to FitDay. We are here for you to vent, so feel free to dump whatever you want out here. I'm not sure if you're looking for some thoughts about this issue, or if you just wanted to put it out (which in itself is therapeutic!), but I wanted to respond and say that I feel for you. If there's anything we can do, just ask. {{hugs to you}}
Old 01-12-2012, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

I'm sorry you feel so bad, and I admire you for keeping to it even though it is so hard. It does get easier.

Can you figure some distracting activity other than thinking about food? For me, really absorbing mystery stories help. For SIL it is odd craft projects (she once showed off a huge sequined Santa she had made, it was not to her taste at all, and I asked "how did you come to make that"? she said "by not eating).

I wish you the best in your journey !

Abby
Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

I just wanted to welcome you to the board and wish you some peace with your journey. It is definitely not an easy journey that we have all taken on but with friends to talk about it with and support each other it does seem less hard.

You may want to consider if you are eating enough calories in the day. Also like Abby said, find something to do with your hands. It is a wonderful distraction. Myself? I love to do counted cross stitch.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I feel a lot better now. I don't know if it was venting to you ladies or my body simply needed another day to adapt. I've found my old crochet hooks and afghan books, so I'll be adding crocheting to my activities soon.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by zyxst
Well, I feel a lot better now. I don't know if it was venting to you ladies or my body simply needed another day to adapt. I've found my old crochet hooks and afghan books, so I'll be adding crocheting to my activities soon.
Glad you're at it again! This thread is a great reminder for me to keep hands busy besides using them to feed myself.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:43 AM
FitDay Member

I quite agree about needing a distraction. I have just got myself a guitar so am trying to learn something new. Hope it keeps my mind off food and stretches my brain a bit! When we are stressed or unhappy it is all too easy to reach for some sort of "comfort food". Its just a case of identifying your stress or mood trigger and finding an alternative to sooth or comfort yourself - basically you need to find an alternative habit!

My triggers are stress and boredom.
Good luck.
Nita
Old 01-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

I had two suggestions: eat plenty of fiber and drink plenty of water ) (lots more of each of these), and take a moderate dose of iron (not much more than the recommended daily requirement in a tablet). Iron can affect regularity, so if you increase your fiber, don't overdo the iron.

I have an elderly friend who has just went through a catastrophic illness. She was tired all the time and had no appetite because it had been months that she had been tube-fed and only ate very small meals. I don't know if it is responsible for solving her problem, but a daily multivitamin supplement (she takes it easily because it's a 'gummy' candy and tastes good!) and a slow-release iron supplement in a tablet (just 150% of the daily requirement) is part of her daily routine now. She's up and moving about quite a bit now. She has been able to leave her apartment and have lunch with friends. All this after staying in bed and feeling lack of energy!

Within your calorie limits that you set, lean protein and fiber can help quite a bit with appetite suppression. The iron tablet ensures you're not anemic (unless you already know you're not from having seen a doctor...)
Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

My first two days were the hardest - figuring out how much to eat to tame the hunger, getting used to that disturbing, weird feeling when I was in the fat-burning zone, getting hungry too fast. I told myself about a million times that I was not depriving my body, but pampering with good medicine that would treat my medical condition. Then my stomach apparently shrank after a couple of days and it all felt better.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
FitDay Member

I will say I suffer the very same thing of feeling hungry and tired. However, I find when I'm paying attention to what I eat is that I cut too much fat when I first start out. I try to keep fat at about 20%. I'm a grouchy old lady if I dip below that and tend to binge.
I'm glad you feel better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.