Thread: A new year
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kay_in_PA
FitDay Member

Default A new year

2011 was not my best year ever. As hard as it was to look at my weight change graph for the last 12 months, I'm glad I had logged my weight at least sporadically because it was a pretty powerful wake up call.

Back in 2009, I was able to lose around 65 lbs, and I kept it off quite well for about a year. After that, it started creeping up. I joined this site last February because I'd passed my self-imposed maximum weight of 135. There was a flurry of weights recorded, but not a strong downward trend. I gave up apparently. There was another flurry of activity in May when I realized I had gone up over 140. This time my efforts were a bit more serious and I got back down to the upper mid 30's. It didn't last. There was another dip around Sept or Oct when I hit 150 and again got serious enough to lose 5-7 lbs. Despite the dips, I never reversed the upward trend, and I started this year at 157.

I still feel frustrated an angry with myself, but negative emotions aren't going to accomplish much at this point. I had a bunch of things going on last year that derailed my efforts. For one thing, I started taking on-line classes, and those tied up a lot of time and led to less cooking and less exercising. Also, my husband was coming and going a lot. He did 4 weeks of active duty in the spring, a 6 week deployment over the summer, and then he started a year long deployment to North Carolina the first of October. With all that going on, I wasn't making myself a priority, and now I am paying for it. With the extra weight, I've started having severe, persistent pain in my leg from an old fracture. Of course, the leg pain makes it harder to jump back on the exercise wagon.

I still have about 10 more weeks of being a student, but then I will have completed all my coursework and earned my degree. In the meantime, I will just have to try to balance all the demands. There are always demands on my time, and if it weren't school, it would be something else, so best just to suck it up and deal with it. I am just going to re-group and get back to the basics. I know how to lose the weight, and I've done it before. It seems like I'm better at losing it than I am at sustaining it, but hopefully this experience has taught me a couple things about keeping it off too.

I've lost 3lbs so far this year, so I'm currently at 154 and my goal is to get back below 135 by my birthday in mid-May.
Kay_in_PA is offline   Reply With Quote