Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > MEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just men
Scale weight loss vs calorie restriction >

Scale weight loss vs calorie restriction

Community
Notices

Scale weight loss vs calorie restriction

Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default Scale weight loss vs calorie restriction

I seem to have a disparity between what my net caloric loss is, versus what the weight scale is.

According to the site's information, I should have only burned 1.98lbs this week, yet I actually burned 4 lbs according to the scale. Is this simply the inaccuracy of the site to -truly- measure every iota of what I eat and burn? Seems odd that it would be off by 7,000 calories in a week!
Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 AM
FitDay Member

The baseline metabolism the fitday produces for me is about 400 calories low so I too have been losing weight quickly as well.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Your weight fluxiates through out the day..... morning, noon, afternoon, and evening you can and will weight different..... (water in system, even food that still in your body)

I know its hard to do but dont worry about what the scale is telling you, worry about what your body is telling you.... if you are feeling better and have more energy than dont worry if you are loosin 1 lb a week or 5 lbs.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

> Your weight fluxiates through out the day

also when you start out you will have relatively large losses. I started about 3 weeks ago and have lost about 12 pounds. That will slow now to 2 pounds a week if I'm really strict and probably to 1 pound over time.
Fitday seems to have the basleine metabolism too high for me, either that or I don't catch all the calories I eat (probably the latter).
Old 03-25-2010, 04:20 AM
FitDay Member

I started recording all food intake 2 weeks ago with a plan to analyse it in detail for a 10 week period.

I wanted to see firstly how my metabolism really worked and to compare that to the estimate of 1lb of loss for every 3500 calories in balance.

So far my calorie balance (according to fitday calories burnt) has been ~6700 for the first week and over 8000 in the second week. My weight loss was 1.6lb in the first week and 2.2lb in the second week. This roughly equates to ~4200 calories/lb in week 1 and 3660calories/lb in week 2. I would say that for an estimate 3500 per lb seems a little on the low side - either that or I am over estimating excercise or underestimating some foods (most foods I weigh carefully).

I will try and keep this updated or start another thread on my progress.