Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Low Carb Stupidity Vs. Low Carb Intelligence

Food for thought!

Low Carb Stupidity Vs. Low Carb Intelligence:
Making The Most Of Your Low Carb Food

By: Dianne Villano, CPFI

Low carb stupidity:

Believing that carrots, bananas, or tomatoes are fattening because they’re high on the glycemic index and because a popular fad diet book says so. (Editor's note: The glycemic index is important, but don't make it everything while ignoring other problems--read on.)

Low carb intelligence:

Have Americans lost any remaining grip with common sense? With an average banana coming in at 120 calories, do you really think that this yellow, nutrient-dense, low-calorie, all-natural, straight-out-of-the-ground fruit is going to make you fat? Compare that to the average serving of salad dressing, which clocks in at over 160 calories with absolutely no redeeming nutritional value.

Perhaps carrots, bananas and tomatoes have 5-10 more calories per serving than broccoli or cucumbers, but try them against a “low carb bar,” which clocks in at typically over 200 calories!

Low carb stupidity:

Believing calories don't count, if you just count carb grams. Didn’t we go through this years ago when we were a nation of “fat gram” counters?

Low carb intelligence:

1. Knowing that fat loss or gain always did and always will boil down to the fact that if you eat more than you burn, you will gain weight. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.
2. Taking the time to understand the caloric value of the foods that you are eating.
3. Learning to eat appropriate SINGLE servings instead of “supersizing” everything.
4. Keeping a food journal and taking some time to preplan and avoiding mindless “boredom” or “stress” eating.
5. Knowing that low-carb versions of comfort foods--bread, pasta, and ice cream--often contain more fat and calories than regular versions

Low carb stupidity:

Carbohydrates make you fat, protein makes you lose weight. We all know who started this one! People have somehow gotten it into their heads that weight gain is all about the carb grams, not the calories. People who quote this myth won't touch a potato (100 calories, 0g fat), but then proceed to eat a 16oz steak for dinner (915 calories, 57g fat). They'll refuse the hamburger bun (120 calories, 2g fat) but take an extra meat patty to make up for it (500 calories, 32g fat).

Low carb intelligence :

1. Realizing that If you eat more than you burn you will get fat, regardless of the source.
2. Realizing that if you eat less, you will lose weight.
3. Knowing that some people on low-carb diets do lose weight initially, but this is due primarily to the fact that they have cut overall calories or have lost an abundance of water and lean tissue (muscle, bone, blood vessel mass, and possibly even organ tissue).
4. Understanding that overdosing on protein and cutting out carbohydrates does not equal successful weight loss. It does, however, mean missing out on vital nutrients from healthy carbohydrate foods that should be part of any well-balance diet. If you're considering a low-carb diet, remember to count your calories and nutrients first.
Article written by Dianne Villano, President of Custom Bodies. Dianne is a personal fitness instructor certified through the National Academy of Sports Medicine and a frequent speaker on health and fitness related topics with articles published in over 20 media outlets including Weight Loss & Obesity Resource Center, Women’s Exercise Network, Self Growth, Gateway to Beauty & Life tools for Women.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

I almost posted this in another thread this morning. Going low carb has worked for me. I've had great success BECAUSE WHEN I GO LOW CARB I EAT LESS CALORIES. I can gorge on cakes and cookies and the clories add up quickly. It's not I'm going to get an insatiable craving from grilled chicken beast and broccoli and consume over my limit of calories.

On the flip side, if I truly stuck to low carb I probably wouldn't need to count calories b/c I'd eat less anyway. But it is about calories in vs. calories out.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
On the flip side, if I truly stuck to low carb I probably wouldn't need to count calories b/c I'd eat less anyway. But it is about calories in vs. calories out.
This makes perfect sense. And of course I believe very much in the second statement.

I'm not against low carb per se, I'm against extremism. And that's what this article is poking fun at. I've seen people announce that they are doing only 5-10 percent carbs. On that amount, the brain wouldn't function properly. And that's what people do, they take a concept and think if x is good, xx must be better. Not so.

And I've never heard "low carbers" discuss endurance sports. Exactly how are they going to jog or swim or bike ride on 5% carbs? They can't! I've seen fitness articles say that endurance athletes need 60% carbs. When I bumped mine up from 50% to 60% I saw an increase in my running endurance, along with my daily energy levels. And I kept losing weight. But this is something extreme "low carbers" never seem to address. They have demonized all carbs, even the good ones.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:04 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Although there is really no such thing as a "bad" food, there are foods that are bad for you when eaten in large quantities.
Carbohydrates are essential to life, but living on simple carbohydrates alone will (I want to say "kill" but that's a little too dramatic, so I'll go with) harm you.

I agree with Mike, when I focus on lowering my carbohydrate intake I almost always increase my intake of healthier foods, without increasing calories.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
I agree with Mike, when I focus on lowering my carbohydrate intake I almost always increase my intake of healthier foods, without increasing calories.

You enjoy running. I'm curious as to what % of carbs you can operate efficiently on while maintaining your running.

And yeah, there's no such thing as a "bad food" so long as it's natural, not man made. But like you say, even then it can be consumed, if in the right quantities.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

I. love. this. post.

For those whom low carb works, more power to them. I've tried it with miserable results. I stay in the range of 50-55% carbs when I monitor it (I hit 60% or 65% when I don't track), but they are all good carbs (with the exception of a few weaknesses...frozen yogurt, raw sugar in my tea in the morning ). I am a huge proponent of fiber and I can't get where I need to get with that without that percentage of carbs...unless I force myself to eat things I hate, so what's the point? My numbers are consistently excellent, so it's apparently not negatively affecting my health to eat them.

My guiding principle has always been to find what works for you personally. You have to live with it for it to work. If it's low carb, that's great. If not, that's great, too...just be honest and don't make obviously dumb choices, like a steady diet of fast food "works for you" .

Read a great quote this past week in a book I got from the library..."The best diet is one you don't know you're on."

Last edited by cjohnson728; 01-02-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Someone asked about endurance...

I spent about 20 years participating in competitive volleyball, basketball, and softball on 11-15% carbs (all from vegetables and dairy products). It worked for me. My body was leaner, less fat, than many of my competitors, though I was not thin. My endurance we better than those who tanked up on carbs and then crashed. The protein gave me a longer 'burn.' FYI: I began competitive volleyball when each match was 5 games and each game was played to 15 pts--totally earned by the server, not (as it is now) awarded when the other team makes a mistake. I did not run or jog (as exercise) ever, though I (until an ankle injury 2 years ago) could walk 5 miles in 1 hour--which I did daily for years.

I do low carb because it helped stave off diabetes (originally diagnosed with hypoglycemia) for 32 years. Now, when I measure blood glucose (fasting and after meals), I can see an immediate impact whenever I add carbs back in my diet. My body cannot handle wheat or corn--it used to make me fat, now it makes me sick. After the last hospital stay (of 5) last Spring, I don't even try small portions of wheat and corn any more.

The person who wrote the article appears to be ignoring the last 20 years of research. She makes some good points, but the research no longer backs up everything she said. Whether you are a professional in the field or not, you would pretty much have to read every day to keep up with the current body of research.

One of the things that researchers are beginning to say is that our concept of weight loss--eat fewer calories than you use to lose weight--is not valid (by itself) because there are other things that impact weight loss, such as heredity and vitamin deficiency. Also, the researchers say that if 'eat fewer calories than you use' worked, fewer people would be overweight and all diets would work for any person. They don't.

My sister lost 20 lbs on the Fat-Busters Diet, but I gained 1 lb a day on the same diet (I quit after 14 days). My TOPS friend lost 40 lbs on a low-fat diet, but was hungry all the time. I lost 40 pounds on Atkins and was never hungry--and my blood tests came back in the healthy range while hers didn't. Each person's body reacts differently to nutrients--we need to remember that.

Last edited by volleyballgranny; 01-05-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by volleyballgranny
One of the things that researchers are beginning to say is that our concept of weight loss--eat fewer calories than you use to lose weight--is not valid (by itself) because there are other things that impact weight loss, such as heredity and vitamin deficiency. Also, the researchers say that if 'eat fewer calories than you use' worked, fewer people would be overweight and all diets would work for any person. They don't.
Not to argue, and I respect your opinion, but how can one possibly gain weight by eating few calories than they burn? As far as our knowledge of physics has progressed, the perpetual motion machine has yet to be perfected and the notion seems to go against Eienstein's law.

Now, I agree that there is not always, in the short term, a linear relationship between calorie deficit and weight loss, but on average, in the long run, it seems to work out pretty closely. I also agree that different people may lose "faster" with different mixes of nutrients but at the end of the day, if you eat less than you burn, you must lose weight.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-05-2012, 07:07 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with you, Michael. It's a basic law and it stands as such.

To argue against a basic law such as this is like arguing that the sun might not rise tomorrow morning. It's an impossible case to make so why bother. Explain that argument to all the starving people in third world countries who are definitely taking in less calories than they burn; all lose weight.

Last edited by VitoVino; 01-05-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

I could not function on a low carb diet. I'm in the gym 1 1/2 hours a day and ride 120-150 miles a week.
Low carb may work for specific situations but I really dislike the faddism that surrounds "miracle" diets in general.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.