Notices

Body Fat Calipers

Old 03-14-2010, 03:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default Body Fat Calipers

Anyone else using body fat calipers to calculate % body fat?
I am going back to using mine so I don't hyper focus on wt loss and miss the point that I want to loose fat and not just wt.
The ones I bought were not expensive and came recommended at various sites are from accumeasure. They do say however that if you are obese you should begin by using a measuring tape.
I remember reading somewhere that you really can't loose more than 1% fat per week. So for 150# person a wt loss of more than 1.5 # in a week will be more than just fat. It could be water and muscle.
Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:07 AM
FitDay Member

I heard that same thing about fat loss & muscle loss, but don't remember where I heard it or if it's accurate since so many ppl seem to be able to loose so much weight so fast. Just from my own experiences the slower weight loss means its harder for my body to regain it so 1.5 pound a week is a very healthy and more likely to be permanent goal. My goal is the same as yours.
I've also heard that the fat measurement with calipers is the most accurate way to track true fat loss other than another way that involved water-some sort of tank or something-usually just offered at clinics and university hospitals. The important thing was to measure the exact, exact same place each time.
Your plan seems very sound and very healthy.
Good luck lemonthyme (I grow herbs and your name is one of my favorites- just started growing a plant last year)
Old 03-14-2010, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

Hey desertmountain tell me about your favorite herbs. Last summer we grew pineapple sage for the first time and it was wonderful. I think herbs make cooking so much more interesting. I just ordered 16 different kinds of herb seeds from a company in Oregon. Pineapple sage has to be grown from cuttings however so unless mine decides to come back I will have to find a plant.

With regards to people loosing more weight than 1.5-2 pounds they can and do but the scary thing is that it isn't all muscle so they may be hurting themselves and since muscles use more calories than fat if we diminish muscle we won't be able to eat as many calories to maintain our weight. I like to eat so I don't want that.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM
FitDay Member

It does make cooking more interesting. Do you grow organically? My go-to herbs are sage, oregano and thyme varieties since they're medicinal and culinary. My fav is Italian Oregano that were started from heirloom seeds (from Seeds of Change I think) about 8 years ago -- they're semi-evergreen, prolific, hardy, and very spicy especially during the summer. I've given tons of it away & always have a large harvest through summer & fall with plenty to dry. I also grow basil (always trying new varieties), rosemary, cilantro, parsley, mint, stevia (hard to find & can't get it to reseed or germinate for some reason), tons of lavender & more that I can't think of right now. Also growing edible flowers & a salsa garden (various peppers, onions, garlic, tomatilloes & tomatoes). This year's new addition is summer savory to make Herbs de Provence to give as Holiday gifts. I wanted winter savory since it's a perennial but couldn't find any seeds. Organic dried herbs in spice bottles & other herbal things (herbal remedies, sachets, etc) are usually what I give as holiday gifts these days. It pays for my hobby (addiction).
Do you grow just for your family, commercially, or for the farmer's market? What kind of herbs do you grow? Any interesting or unusual herbs you might suggest?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
FitDay Member

Desertmountain, I just grow for the family. I just found some usable rosemary lerking under pineapple sage twigs. I could be dreaming but I think the chocolate mint is coming up. I ordered a bunch of seeds from thymegarden.com including flea bane. We had a horrible flea problem this past year and I am curious about this plant. Looking at the thymegarden site was like being in candy land. So many things to choose. What will you be growing this year?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

I'm reading an e-book at the moment which is all about making sure that you are losing fat, not muscle. Some percentage of it each week will be lean body mass, but if the fat loss % percentage is higher, then that's great.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:24 AM
FitDay Member

Chocolate mint!?!? Whoa, this is a new one that I absolutely must try! Does it just smell like chocolate or does it actually taste like chocolate-in which case the tea must be amazing.
LOL that's so cool that you have a rouge rosemary. I want a lot more of them and am going to try to propagate rosemary wands this Spring. No idea how to do it.
Have you ever tried using the woody parts of your old rosemary bushes to smoke chicken or fish? Chicken tastes like cornish game hens. I'm growing the same herbs as mentioned above but am adding epazote, summer savory & Mexican oregano if I can find some cuttings (the seeds don't propagate well) and what ever else I find tomorrow. There's a gardening lecture at a local nursery tomorrow so I know I'll be doing some more shopping. What does pinneapple sage taste like? Does it require a lot of water?
Old 03-21-2010, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

Chocolate mint smells more chocolaty than tastes like it but it does have underlying chocolate taste. Pineapple sage has pineapple undertones but very strong pineapple smell when the leaves are crushed. I didn't notice this plant need an exceptional amount of water. I love the idea of using the woody parts in the smoker. I am so glad you said something. I am itching to get going on the garden but it is on 33 degrees out today so I have to not rush the season.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

this may be off the subject a tad but I use the accu-measure and the biggest thing is to measure the same spot every time. The skin fold should be done on the right side. If you were to draw a line straight down from my right nipple and directly across from my belly button, the point at which they cross is where I measure. That spot seems to give me an accurate measurement. If you are coming up with wild swings in measurements chances are you didn't hit the same spot.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:17 AM
FitDay Member

hey guys, came on here to see how others are using their calipers, but the herb talk is much more interesting! we've just got rid of the last of our snow and most of my herbs in the herb garden are coming through - even the french lavender which i was sure wouldn't be coming back has got lots of new shoots coming up! I took some cuttings from my rosemary bush last year - just put 1/4 sand in with compost in a pot, take your cutting, strip off the lower leaves and plonk the cutting into the compost - making sure quite a lot of stem (but no leaves) are under the soil. They should root in a couple of weeks. This method works with most "woody" herbs I think..... Happy gardening....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.