View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
VitoVino
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 View Post
On the flip side, if I truly stuck to low carb I probably wouldn't need to count calories b/c I'd eat less anyway. But it is about calories in vs. calories out.
This makes perfect sense. And of course I believe very much in the second statement.

I'm not against low carb per se, I'm against extremism. And that's what this article is poking fun at. I've seen people announce that they are doing only 5-10 percent carbs. On that amount, the brain wouldn't function properly. And that's what people do, they take a concept and think if x is good, xx must be better. Not so.

And I've never heard "low carbers" discuss endurance sports. Exactly how are they going to jog or swim or bike ride on 5% carbs? They can't! I've seen fitness articles say that endurance athletes need 60% carbs. When I bumped mine up from 50% to 60% I saw an increase in my running endurance, along with my daily energy levels. And I kept losing weight. But this is something extreme "low carbers" never seem to address. They have demonized all carbs, even the good ones.

Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote