View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
mecompco
FitDay Member

Default Max muscle in minimum time?

OK, I've talked about it ad nasuem, but the goal for 2012 (along with taking off the final 15-20 lbs.) is to build some muscle and increase my metabolic burn to help the odds for long-term weight maintenance.

I am going to clean out my home office (used for junk storage for the past few years) and move my weight bench back upstairs.

I figure if I rearrange my morning activities (only one cup of Joe instead of three and less TV/Internet) that I can find a good 30 minutes to exercise before I need to make breakfast, do dishes, pack lunches and get out of Dodge.

So, I'm thinking I should lift heavy and fewer reps. One problem is that I'll be doing it alone, so I can't really go to total failure and/or negative so I know that will be a detriment to fast results.

My question is, given 30 minutes a day, five days a week, what's the best plan? I have a nice heavy duty incline/decline bench, 300 lbs of cast iron weights, leg lift, lat pulldown, curl bar and a good selection of dumbbells.

My leg muscles are still pretty good, my arms and chest, practically non-existant--skin and bone, mostly. Should I focus on the problem areas, or the good areas, or both. I know one needs to rest muscles between workouts.

Also, I need a way to quantify my progress. Weight loss is easy to track, but muscle gain, perhaps not so much. I'm hoping my new body fat monitor will help.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Regards,
Michael

May 4, 2010...... 440? lbs. (Start FitDay Size 60 Jeans)
June 19, 2010.... 393 lbs. (First Weigh-in)
June 19, 2011.... 229 lbs. (164 lbs. gone in one year :-)
Current Weight... 185 lbs. (Size 36 Jeans)

Next Goal 169 lbs. (07/04/12)
Ultimate Goal 165 lbs. (12/31/12)

The best exercises for weight loss are Fork Putdowns and Table Pushaways.

mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote