View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
VitoVino
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 View Post
That's a lot of fish oil. I take 1g a day in supplementation, I'd imagine that my food doesn't have much of any.
Well, it's cheap and it doesn't have any side effects.

Quote:
How Much Fish Oil Should You Take?

Based on the three studies cited above, it looks like 1.5 to 2.0 grams per day of combined DHA/EPA is the right dose when fat loss is the goal (although some suggest you should consider body weight when choosing the dosage, i.e., 1 gram total fish oil for each 20 lbs body weight, so a big guy might go with as much as 3.0 grams)

Most fish oil capsules come in 1,000 mg size at a 30% concentration, so if you took five 1000mg capsules a day (5 grams of total fish oil), that would give you 1.5 grams of EPA/DHA; about the same as you’d get in 3 ounces (85 g) of salmon.

Note: other studies on fish oil and fat loss tested 3.0 to 4.0 g/day of EPA/DHA, but the American Heart Association has warned against taking more than 3 g EPA/DHA per day without a physician’s supervision, as there may be some contraindications or side effects possible. Based on the research, more fish oil will NOT burn more fat, so be wary of the “mega dose gurus.”

Think of food as fuel for the body instead of feeding emotions
VitoVino is offline   Reply With Quote