Follow my weight loss journey

Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Follow my weight loss journey

Deleted

Last edited by kristibelli; 03-24-2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Negative Feedback
Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

first off.. congrats on committing to make a change!

BUT, not to sound negative, just being real...

I read your blog, and you do eat a lot of processed foods and a lot of snacks (ie Pringles, ice cream, TV dinners etc). Being a dietitian you should know better than that. I don't care if it claims to be low cal or good for you, you know it's not the right choice. Sure every now and then we all need a little snack but that seems to be the bulk of your diet.

I noticed that you said that you eat that way b/c you are single. All you are doing is cheating yourself and making it harder to reach your goal. Excuses will get you nowhere. Being single gives you the opportunity to cook good meals and prepackage them for future days.

I know I sound like an ass by saying that but I look at it as tough love. I truly wish you the best of luck, but can only hope that you make it easier on yourself than you are currently doing.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-23-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:02 PM
FitDay Member

I agree with 01gt4.6 in that your foods seem so processed. Do you have a freezer where you could cook ahead and package single sized servings? Are you going to be able to eat like this the rest of your life? You deserve real food. Fresh meat/fish/poultry and real fruits and veggies and great whole grains like oat groats or barley or brown rice. Single doesn't mean less valuable. Think of yourself as your own personal chef.
Anyway didn't mean to give a sermon all the best on this adventure you are on.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 AM
FitDay Member

I agree about processed food. It is loaded with additives, preservatives and salt, and makes you wonder what they do to your body. Some studies even claim that all the artificial sweeteners actually contribute to obesity. I have eaten alot of processed food in the past, alot more than I like to admit to. The marketing is very clever.

I am keeping processed food to a minimum and have started to lose weight. I notice a big difference in how I feel, I feel good. Preparing your own food and freezing it for convenience is not time consuming. Plan ahead and cook 2 or 3 dishes at the same time. I will have something bubbling on the stovetop, while I have a pan of chicken breast baking in the oven - and voila, 12 meals for the freezer within an hour or so.

That is why I like this website, it is honest and real. Everyone is just trying to help eachother. I am not preaching but just sharing what I have discovered. I wish you all the best with your weight loss mission!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

kristibelli,

I guess our advice wasn't well taken since you deleted your post due to negativity. The reality is that you "seem" to be trying to take the easy way out. Sometimes change isn't easy but leads to great success.

I'll continue to follow your journey to see if you've discovered something new in these "healthy" snacks. Good luck to you but the sooner you can accept constructive critisizm and face the problem instead of run from it the better off you'll be.

Best of luck!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-24-2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

I have a question. I started trying to lose weight in January. And so far, I'm doing good. I've been watching the calories and exercising (probably need to do more). But I started losing weight by using Lean Cuisines. I figured I could start there, get used to the calories (approximately 1,500 to 1,800 per day), and then start cooking for myself. The way everyone is talking, this isn't a good idea. Is that true?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bellarose37
I have a question. I started trying to lose weight in January. And so far, I'm doing good. I've been watching the calories and exercising (probably need to do more). But I started losing weight by using Lean Cuisines. I figured I could start there, get used to the calories (approximately 1,500 to 1,800 per day), and then start cooking for myself. The way everyone is talking, this isn't a good idea. Is that true?
it's not the best way, but not bad either. If you were to say that you were eating Lean Cuisines, and list a slew of "low cal" snacks that you were eating through out the day, I'd say that is the wrong way to go about it. Just be aware that many of these "low cal" dinners may be loaded with fat, sugar, and sodium.
As far as needing to do more exercising, the best way to figure that out IMO is to take in 500cals less than you burn daily WHILE EATING CLEAN. This will give you a good rate to burn fat and lose weight.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Shell250
The marketing is very clever.
you are so right! I love the Taco Bell commercial where the girl says that she lost 50 pounds (I believe it was) while eating Taco Bell.

I've busted my ass through diet and exercise for the past 8 mos. to get when I'm at now (almost 40 years old and in the shape, or better than I was in 20 years ago). I have, during this journey had cheat days, or cheat meals. I think it's good to every now and then. Every once in a while I'd treat myself to a butterfinger bar (I love those damn things more than Bart Simpson!). Soooo I guess I could say that I lost 40 pounds and almost have a well defined 6 pack while eating butterfingers, right? After all it is the turth, just a tad misleading. LOL
Old 03-24-2010, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

I don't blame kristibelli for deleting her post; there has been a lot of negativity about it.

I think mostly it stems from the fact that she's a dietician, and it's kind of surprising to see a dietician eating so much processed food. I admit, I was kind of surprised. I would find it rather disturbing if a dietician, who I was paying, recommended that I eat artificial sweeteners and Miracle Whip. But she's not telling other people to eat that stuff; it's just what's working for her.

Ultimately, the only diets that will work are the ones that the individual dieter can stick with. I wouldn't be able to stick to a diet that required me to eat raw vegetables, but I can stick to one that allows me to stir-fry them. I wouldn't be able to stick to a diet that required me to eat any kind of "lite" version of a regular food, like "fat-free cream cheese" or "sugar-free yogurt." I just don't like that stuff, and don't want to eat it. But if I did like it, and those were my preferred foods, then they would be good choices because it's what works for me. I eat a small bowl of real, honest-to-goodness ice-cream several days a week. Sure, I'd lose weight faster if I had a celery stick instead, but the ice-cream keeps me sane and happy.

Kristibelli, I think it's great that you are losing weight, eating whatever works for you.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Processed foods

Originally Posted by elderwanda
I don't blame kristibelli for deleting her post; there has been a lot of negativity about it.

. . .

Ultimately, the only diets that will work are the ones that the individual dieter can stick with. . . Sure, I'd lose weight faster if I had a celery stick instead, but the ice-cream keeps me sane and happy.

Kristibelli, I think it's great that you are losing weight, eating whatever works for you.
Good for you, elderwanda. I feel the same way. Food is not just fuel; you have to enjoy it. I'm sorry I missed Kristibelli's post. As for myself, I have no problem with eating processed foods except perhaps for the high sodium content. I think the "processed foods are bad for you" meme is one of those bits of common "knowledge" that ought to be questioned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.