Notices

Addicted to food?

Old 12-13-2011, 05:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Addicted to food?

Has anyone else realized they're addicted to food after deciding to eat healthier? I don't call it dieting because I know it's a life change, not a temporary change.

I decided several weeks ago to eat clean, you know, little to no processed food, fresh fruits/veggies, no beef or pork, etc. I think of it as clean eating. I also started keeping track of calories, fat, protein here on fitday, restricted calories to 1200 a day, and began walking daily. The trouble is that even though I've already started losing weight and feeling better, the cravings for Little Debbie and double cheeseburgers are not going away. If anything they're getting stronger. I don't know if it's all in my head or there is a real physiological response going on, but I had an easier time quitting smoking. It's been almost a month.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, how did you cope? How long did it take to get over, or did it ever go away? I hate the thought of feeling like this for the rest of my life. If it keeps up I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the healthy eating wagon.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by hanelse
Has anyone else realized they're addicted to food after deciding to eat healthier? I don't call it dieting because I know it's a life change, not a temporary change.

I decided several weeks ago to eat clean, you know, little to no processed food, fresh fruits/veggies, no beef or pork, etc. I think of it as clean eating. I also started keeping track of calories, fat, protein here on fitday, restricted calories to 1200 a day, and began walking daily. The trouble is that even though I've already started losing weight and feeling better, the cravings for Little Debbie and double cheeseburgers are not going away. If anything they're getting stronger. I don't know if it's all in my head or there is a real physiological response going on, but I had an easier time quitting smoking. It's been almost a month.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so, how did you cope? How long did it take to get over, or did it ever go away? I hate the thought of feeling like this for the rest of my life. If it keeps up I'm afraid I'm going to fall off the healthy eating wagon.

Thanks in advance for any input.
1200 might not be enough. If it's really a lifestyle change, eat a few hundred calories under your maintenance level. 1200 should be rock bottom.

If you're not eating enough you'll have more cravings, plus you can get kidney stones.

I also noticed that I have times when I just want to have something I used to eat, like enchiladas, lasagna, frito pie, chunks of cheddar cheese, etc. but I think this is something everyone deals with.

I also don't think you should permanently cut out your favorite foods from your life. You can have them once in a while as long as you stay on track most of the time.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know if it's all in my head or there is a real physiological response going on, but I had an easier time quitting smoking. It's been almost a month.

Sure. We all get the cravings. For me, they went away. Learning about how sugar is poison and how double cheeseburgers will clog my arteries are what made those cravings go away for me.

Now I consider food to be a source of fuel. I try to put only high octane in my engine.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Rubystars and Vitovino,

Thanks for the input. I'll keep all that in mind. Maybe 1200 is too low. I may adjust to 1600 and see how that works. I'll also try to stop thinking of food as fun. Tough change, though. A lot tougher than I thought it would be.

Vitovino, we're neighbors. I live in western NC. Congrats on those lost 32 lbs. : )
Old 12-16-2011, 09:08 AM
FitDay Member

Vitovino, we're neighbors. I live in western NC. Congrats on those lost 32 lbs. : )
Y'all got the good barbeque then! I don't care much for the vinegar based Piedmont kind. Y'all got the tomato based, correct?

Welcome to FitDay, neighbor!
Old 12-16-2011, 09:43 AM
FitDay Member

I live in western NC. Congrats on those lost 32 lbs. : )
I'm about an hour southeast of Asheville, so does that make us neighbors too?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:25 AM
FitDay Member

Vitovino, you betcha! And the best kind has as much molasses as tomato sauce. I can eat my weight in, and that's a *lot*.

Hey, Tori, it sure does! Great warm weather we've had so far, huh? I hate the summers, but you can't beat the area for winters, especially for a gardening nut like me. Congrats on your mini goal. You've just about made it. I'll have to add my stats.

I upped my calories to 1400 a day and have been doing better. I've lost about 15 lbs so far and 2 1/2 inches from each measurement of bust, waist, and hips. To stop missing my favorite foods at meals, I "reward" myself by reading a favorite book or crocheting. I tried a favorite video, but that just made me think of chips. : (
Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 AM
FitDay Member

Just thought I'd share a great article on the latest research on food addictions. It was posted today on Disease Proof : Disease Proof : Health & Nutrition News & Commentary : Dr. Joel Fuhrman
Old 12-25-2011, 11:29 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by stamatiaa
Just thought I'd share a great article on the latest research on food addictions. It was posted today on Disease Proof : Disease Proof : Health & Nutrition News & Commentary : Dr. Joel Fuhrman
Excellent article, thanks for sharing it! This is exactly why I don't intend to EVER eat another candy bar, donut or ice cream cone. Zero tolerance works for me.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-25-2011, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Excellent article indeed. Now the only problem is I've just read about the warnings about turkey. Nothing is truly "perfectly healthy" anymore I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.