Notices

Curves

Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Curves

Have any of you tried Curves? How is it? I was thinking of joining and going a few nights a week when I get off work because I need to strengthen up my upper body big time. I watched a video of what the machines are and everything but wondering if it's really effective. Anyone ever try it? What was your experience or experiences of anyone you may know who tried it.

It's either that or invest in some equipment for my apartment but I don't want to spend money on equipment when I could spend less going to a fitness club. I just prefer a club for women only.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 AM
FitDay Member

Curves was my beginner gym, and I guess I should be grateful for it. I had decided to get fit, and it was there, I would have been highly intimidated by a “real” gym, and probably couldn’t afford one.

The workouts were not challenging, it’s always the same. In theory, as you get stronger, you push the hydraulics in the machines harder, and they push back harder, but it doesn’t work that well in practice.

In addition, management/ownership of your franchise can have a major impact. I experienced no-show staff, so I’d be up early, downtown in my sweats, and no gym. In the end they closed in the dark of the night, leaving me to chase my last month’s dues.

When it vanished, I joined another women’s club, I also was, at that time more comfortable in a women’s setting.

My recommendation would be explore what you can do without equipment at home.

Abby
Old 01-01-2012, 02:49 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Curves

Hello,
I am a Curves member now. I do like it is a womens only club, but as stated earlier, it does get rather boring...same ol same ol. I do know of people losing weight using Curves though. I guess my biggest minus is I have come to realize I need a club that offers child care while I work out. If it isn't offered, I am much more less likely to go...too much hassle to try to fit in husband being able to watch kiddos (because of work) and trying to make it to Curves before closing.
I have seen several "coupons" were you can try it out for free for a week. Maybe call up your local Curves to see if they offer the free week trial and see if it is a good fit for you.