Notices

new and very anxious

Old 12-17-2011, 03:27 PM
FitDay Member

Red face new and very anxious

Hello, everyone,

I am greatful to be here, although, I am very anxious as I am 5'8 and weight 270 lbs...
I am hypothyroid, and I am struggling with my health and weight for about 5 years now..
The reason I am anxious is because I would like to get some help with a plan for my weight loss, as there are lots of websites and online resources that assist with weight loss goals, yet - I cannot put the things together and it drives me crazy to think about pluging in numbers, calories, %, and more... I just need the simple plan the works, and I don't mind to use the online resources, but I get very anxious about where to start and how to organize my plan of action... I was thinking about the weight watchers but, this is a bit pricey.. So, with so many resources online, I would rather get help from forums and the online resources..
Could someone, please, help me to get started on my journey, I would sincerely appreciate - also, I can use a buddy for my weight loss program. I believe that calorie restricted program would work the best for me.
Again, any help in get-me-going would be greatly appreciated.
Nataliy.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:22 PM
FitDay Member

First things first, welcome to FitDay! I understand the anxiety that using internet search tools can create when trying to find what's right for you. I also thought about WW, but chose not to go that route because I'm trying to save money for a down payment on a house, so every little bit helps.

I did nothing but log my foods the very first week I was here. Just to get an idea of my "normal" daily caloric intake. It was shocking to say the least. After that I started watching what I was eating. Choosing better options, even when I had to eat outside of my home. Instead of the Caesar salad, I went with the house, with a light dressing or even no dressing at all. When you actually see, on paper or on screen, what you're putting into your body it really wakes you up.

I was the biggest skeptic on the planet, but I dropped 10 lbs that very first week!
I'm also hypo, and was scared that nothing would work for me, simply because of the stupid hormone imbalance, but it did. I've been here since Nov 6, 2011, 6 weeks total, and I've already lost a little over 20 lbs. I'm a firm believer that slow and steady wins the race, and I'm in this for the long haul.

The forums are the place to be for support.....look around and jump into the conversations.

Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Tori, it sure seems like you've been here longer than 6 weeks, you fit right in with the rest of the gang.

Nataliy, welcome to FitDay. Tori gave some good advice. Many people like to Eat like they normally do and log everything at first. It will be a real eye opener!
Old 12-17-2011, 04:43 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Tori, it sure seems like you've been here longer than 6 weeks, you fit right in with the rest of the gang.
That's just because I'm the talkative sort. Sometimes I feel like I've been around longer, but then I have days like yesterday and today. It proves that I still have a LOT to learn
Old 12-19-2011, 02:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Tori, Mike and Nataliy. I'm new to the fitday forums and am looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:37 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome! I also found WW to be pricey and frankly I think this has more educational tools. I lost 27 lbs last winter/spring and just lost another 9 this fall - all at Fitday. I do an hour of exercise 5x a week now, but I did very little last winter as I was finding my feet and learning. People in here are so friendly..and helpful! Nataliy I am happy to be a buddy with you. I am 5'7.5 and 229 lbs so we are pretty close in our stats.

Cheerio,

Nancy
Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM
FitDay Member

Don't be anxious! It is wonderful that you looked inside yourself and decided to make a change. I always tell myself when I am feeling nervous or anxious about a challenge, that this, at this moment, is the worst it has to be. From this point forward, I can learn and practice and ultimately master whatever it may be. I often feel that way heading to the weight room filled with big burly guys looking at me like I don't know what I am doing.... sometimes I do and sometimes I dont. lol.

You took the first step....that was the worst it had to be...now it can only get better!

Tricia
Old 12-27-2011, 04:37 PM
FitDay Member

Hi! I just posted to introduce myself, and I am relieved to read about others who are hypo. I take 35 mcg of cytomel and 125mcg of synthroid a day, and I've been hypo since 2000 or 2001. It definitely is a challenge! Hoping that we can help eachother through!