View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
elderwanda
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzycritter View Post
If you aren't active or eat WAY less than you burn, you will also lose muscle.

I wish I had known this when I was 13. I had stopped getting taller, but continued outgrowing my clothes, until I realized I had gotten a bit chunky. I knew that 3500 calories equals a pound of fat, and that I probably burned about 1600 calories just staying alive. So I put myself on a strict 600 calorie/day diet. Just as my calculations predicted, I lost two pounds a week. I went from 130 pounds to 102, and from a size 11/12 to a size 7/8.

The problem is that I was utterly exhausted all the time. I eventually gained a lot of it back (and then more after having kids), and just assumed that I was naturally a weak person with no butt. I see now that what happened is that I lost a lot of muscle. That explains why, as a young adult, I couldn't do a lot of physical things that my peers seemed to do easily.

Now, I'm losing weight at the same rate as back then by eating about 1400 calories a day and doing cardio and weight-bearing exercise. I'm getting stronger, my butt is starting to get an actual shape, for the first time in my life, and I have plenty of energy.

If I could go back in time, knowing what I know now, I would have taken a totally different approach to getting a better body as a teen.
elderwanda is offline   Reply With Quote