Notices

About half way there!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default About half way there!

Hi, I'm Stu and I've been a member here off & on for several years. I tried some published diets (ie -diet books) with some success but nothing really effective. Having always been active to some degree (no world-class athlete mind you), I know that the combination of diet & exercise is the only true way to change your life. I needed to get back to doing both better and needed a plan.

So, I began to see a nutritionist & dietician, and joined a new gym that I liked a lot. That was back in July. Since then, I've dropped 20 lbs, and lost about 3 lbs of body fat. My waist has shrunk by over 7 inches and I am leaner overall.

The diet is largely low to medium Glycemic Index with some allowances. I consume a range of calories, the least being about 1400, the most over 3000 (Thanksgiving). Typically I get about 1800 to 2000 per day.

I work out about 5 times a week, and keep varying the exercise up to prevent boredom. I also do yoga once every couple of weeks to improve my flexibility. I burn over 3000 cals/day on average.

Fitday is great because I can track what I do and what I eat in the same place. I get a balance report and can print off reports to show my nutiritionist.

I still have another 20 or so lbs to go, but by summer 2012, they will be gone.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:12 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Stu, that's great! Calorie restriction/control is the only way to lose weight, combine that with a good exercise regime and you can't fail. Keep up the great work!

Regard's
Michael
Old 12-06-2011, 01:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Stu, wonderful... that's the way to get it done.
You are quite an inspiration and I suspect by now you are getting lots of kudos from friends and family. Keep up the great work!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks!

Like anything, it's a work in progress, but thanks for the feedback. After a few years of frustration with it, it's nice to get results. Being in my mid-forties, it's good to get the weight off and set up some good habits that will prevent problems down the line. My folks were both heavy, and that has caused a lot of health issues for them.

If nothing else, I would like to minimize the impact on my health!

Thanks again!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your success Stu! Sounds like you are on the right path to finish your goal strong!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks, I'm going to make it work this time...and keep it off!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 67gss
Thanks, I'm going to make it work this time...and keep it off!
Me too!!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 67gss
Hi, I'm Stu and I've been a member here off & on for several years. I tried some published diets (ie -diet books) with some success but nothing really effective. Having always been active to some degree (no world-class athlete mind you), I know that the combination of diet & exercise is the only true way to change your life. I needed to get back to doing both better and needed a plan.

So, I began to see a nutritionist & dietician, and joined a new gym that I liked a lot. That was back in July. Since then, I've dropped 20 lbs, and lost about 3 lbs of body fat. My waist has shrunk by over 7 inches and I am leaner overall.

The diet is largely low to medium Glycemic Index with some allowances. I consume a range of calories, the least being about 1400, the most over 3000 (Thanksgiving). Typically I get about 1800 to 2000 per day.

I work out about 5 times a week, and keep varying the exercise up to prevent boredom. I also do yoga once every couple of weeks to improve my flexibility. I burn over 3000 cals/day on average.

Fitday is great because I can track what I do and what I eat in the same place. I get a balance report and can print off reports to show my nutiritionist.

I still have another 20 or so lbs to go, but by summer 2012, they will be gone.
This sounds like a great plan--it actually changes your lifestyle! We can't keep it off if we don't make significant lifestyle changes. Kudos to you!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:53 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks volleyballgranny (great handle BTW)! It's funny...if I miss a day of working out or eat not so well, I find it affects me more than before. Clearly my body is now expecting to be properly nourished and exercised and responds accordingly when it doesn't happen.

I''ll keep things up to date by saying that I dropped another 3 pounds over the last couple of weeks, so it seems that my diligence is working.