Notices

Too much at the gym, or too little?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

First I just wanted to say that I just bought SailorDoom's book recommendation (The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler). I have only read a little bit so far but I think it's great! Thanks SailorDoom!

I have a short, curvy, muscular body myself. I, like you bbycakes, was worried about making my thighs thicker and more "bulky." I was doing cardio through kickboxing classes and was losing weight. Then I joined a boot camp like program with lots of weights and worked out with a trainer. During that time (about two months) I didn't lose much weight- if any. BUT all of my clothes became too big- WAY too big! My body was much firmer and I lost a lot of inches. Even the "massive" muscle I thought was hiding under fat in my thighs was smaller. The shape of my muscles didn't change but my legs seemed longer and leaner because they lost fat and the muscle was more defined. After that the weight even started coming off faster (I assume because the muscle I formed was burning more calories). Coming from a "thick" girl who always considered herself bulky, I can tell you that you won't get any bigger than you are now from lifting. Like someone mentioned above- in order to gain large amounts of muscle you would have to be eating a lot more. It isn't easy to gain muscle and people don't gain large amounts of muscle on accident.

Oh and I actually don't consider myself big or bulky anymore- thanks to weight lifting. It's funny that the thing I was afraid would make me big actually made me smaller
Old 12-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

I love that lifting has made me strong. I set my PR on my deadlift almost a year ago. Had a setback due to sugery and injury but am fully recovered and have been lifting at home. Thank goodness muscle has good memory! I am returning to my gym tomorrow to fight the guys for the cage since I am ready to lift heavy again!
Old 12-10-2010, 07:15 AM
FitDay Member

I'm glad you scooped up the book, angel! It's pretty rad -- I'm not usually one to "drink the kool aid" on one particular fitness program or diet, but this one seems pretty legit. It really makes you think about the scientific basis (or lack thereof!) of what's always been presented to us as the "right" way to get fit, especially in fitness magazines. Also, the no-nonsense science-based approach really resonated with me, especially since I picked it up at a time when I was feeling absolutely inundated with information (many times biased or conflicting) about fitness and nutrition.

And to you, vabeachgirl, way to get back in there! Don't let those men have all the fun!

Here's to the fit, healthy, strong, smart, sexy, successful, kick-butt women on this forum!!! Cheers! *clinky-clinky*

Oh, and the guys here are alright too in my book -- as long as they're not hogging the squat rack.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SailorDoom
Here's to the fit, healthy, strong, smart, sexy, successful, kick-butt women on this forum!!! Cheers! *clinky-clinky

I'll second that.. *clink! I wish more women would take note of the benefits of weight lifting.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SailorDoom
And to you, vabeachgirl, way to get back in there! Don't let those men have all the fun!

Here's to the fit, healthy, strong, smart, sexy, successful, kick-butt women on this forum!!! Cheers! *clinky-clinky*
Thanks! I did NROL4W 18 months ago. I liked it but I liked NROL more!

I got back to the gym and felt great! I was the only female squatting! Lol!

Cheers to the women who lift heavy!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:52 PM
FitDay Member

Here's an overview by Alwyn Cosgrove, on what he calls the 'hierarchy of fat loss'. It's for an audience of bodybuilders, but he summarizes some of the reasoning behind the idea that muscle needs to be there for optimal fat loss.

What's the deal with your leg? Are you seeing a PT?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 PM
FitDay Member

A 'home gym' can be a place where you exercise and lift weights, and a home gym is also a compact unit of equipment designed to allow you to perform many exercises at the one station. These are also called 'multi-gyms'- workstations designed to fit into a spare room, basement or garage so that you can do weight training at home.