Notices

Confusion......

Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
FitDay Member

Default Confusion......

Ok, here's my problem:
I am now down to 127 pounds and wearing a size 3-4. That's great and fabulous, but I still want to get to 115 for my height, but keep wearing the size I am now in. I don't want to go smaller in size, but still lose the weight of 12 more pounds. My workout I do is the following: Monday,Wednesday,Friday, and Sunday strength training of 50 minutes and everyday I run for 6 miles. Now I don't know what my calorie burn is for the strength training is, but when I run I burn about 600 calories. My problem is I am always hungry. A sample of a full day's worth of food is:
Breakfast:
4 egg white omlette
1 bagel thin bagel
1 liter of water
Sprinkle of reduced fat cheese

Total calories: 228

After an hour depending on day I either do strength train then run or just run.

Lunch:
Tuna fish sandwhich
Either a 100 calorie thing of cottage cheese or a 140 calorie of Greek yogurt
Total calories: 300-340

Dinner:
This varies but I usually average about 300 calories to 400.

Then I will have a snack of 110 calories usually some sort of protein bar.

I make sure I don't go above 1200 but at the end of the night I am starving, and I have already hit my calories for the day.

How many can I safely eat without compromising my weight loss goals? Is it safe to eat more than 1200? I know I am going to have this same problem when i go into maintenance gear, so any help is appreciated. I also forgot to put in I drink 3 liters of water a day as well.
I don't want my body burning muscles rather than fat, so any ideas as to where I can add in more calories, if I can....
Thanks in advance....
Old 11-26-2011, 06:58 PM
FitDay Member

1200 is supposed to be the minimum amount of calories a woman eats, not the maximum.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
FitDay Member

I would eat more protein. Protein makes you feel full, and carbs do not for very long.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

Basically, you want to stay the same size, but lose weight, but not add fat to your body.

The problem with this is that muscle weighs more than fat. One pound of muscle is much smaller than 1 pound of fat. So in order to lose weight but stay the same size, your body composition would have to increase in fat and decrease in muscle (so that you can stay the same size but weigh less). I'm guessing this isn't ideal, especially with your exercise schedule.

I actually suggest that you up the calories and protein a bit. You might get a bit smaller, but as you increase your workouts and protein and calories, you will then add muscle. (So you will lose fat, then gain muscle). This should hopefully get you looking in that healthy size 3-4 range versus a skinny anorexic person.

Another thing I'd like to say... is that weight really isn't an indicator of anything, especially once you're in the healthy range. You should really be looking for signs of health, strength and size rather than the number on the scale. If you're happy at a size 3-4, and quite fit, then be happy there. :-)
Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 AM
FitDay Member

Pixiedust You have done a great job of losing almost 80 pounds. You likely need to take some time to adjust to what you should weight and what calories you need. You will need to find what is right for you. Remember the less you weigh the less calories you will need (or be allowed) for maintenance.

If you are happy with the size you are now I'm not sure why you want to lose another 10 -13 pounds. Your body will continue to change as it gets used to the new you.

I wish you success in maintenance and finding the right body for you. Mary
Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Pixie,
I went through very much the same thing last year. I really wanted to be 125 pounds - it just sounds so great . But I am a size 4, occassionally a 2 and I realized that I was more fixated on the weight than on my size.

A couple people reminded me that women carry weight very differently. I have always been compact. While I am fairly small boned, I have lots of muscle (even in the heavier days). A different person more or less my height weighing 135lbs might be a size 6 or even 8.

And since I am pretty content with my size and fitness, I'm not stressing about getting into the 120s. That being said, if I magically work up one morning at 128 I would happily take it
Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all the advise guys!! Since I last posted this I stepped on the scale and it said 130. The lowest I have gotten to was the 127, and I don't think I can get back into the 120's again because I do so much strength training. I just get so confused because when I put in my height and weight into the calculators, it states between 104-141 is perfect weight. I don't know how much fat is actually on my body so I don't know what my true BMI is. At 130 pounds, I think that puts me at 23%, but if I am fitting into a 3-4 and even 2's in dress pants, then I have way less than that 23% the BMI calculator states. I am happy at a 3-4 and I don't want to go below that. Most people when they see me think I am already in the 110-120 range because there is not much fat on my body, I have turned almost all of the fat on me into muscle.
How much protein should I be eating? Should I go to a personal trainer and see what my true fat % is? I don't belong to a gym so would a personal trainer do a consultation of sorts? I truly love running, out of everything I do, that is my absolute favorite. Hell, I just did 8 miles 2 days ago, and I want to keep running like that, but at the same time, I don't want start burning muscle instead of fat so I guess it's a matter of playing with numbers or something. I like my new muscles and I don't want to lose them. I was just telling my mother the other day that in high school I was 117 pounds and a size 7-8 and now here I am years later, lost almost 80 pounds and wearing a size 3-4. I am in better shape now at a heavier weight than I was in high school in a smaller weight...
I think I would be happy at this weight as long as the BMI is incorrect for the % and I can stay in my new size....so if that is the case, that my body has said ok, you have done all you can do, this is the weight you need to stay at, I would love to just go into maintence mode and eat a little more and keep up with my workouts and stop beating myself up on not getting to a number that my body isn't going to let me get to....
Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

I would add more vegetables. They're low calorie and high fibre, which should fill you up a bit more. I aim for at least five servings per day.