Notices

Turbo Jam Anyone?

Old 10-20-2011, 11:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Turbo Jam Anyone?

Anyone doing Turbo Jam? I just recently started it and I think it will be good once I get the moves down...they move quickly that's for sure and time flies while you are doing it. It has a timer on the bottom of screen so you know how much time you have left. I am rotating this with Zumba
Old 12-01-2011, 04:51 PM
FitDay Member

I don't know if you're still doing it but I started turbo jam about 1-2 months ago. I really enjoy it and I haven't gotten tired of the dvds (yet :P). If you've stepped it up, what have you opted for? It seems people have success with p90x but it looks a little intense for now. I'm thinking to switch in the next 2-3 months as I'll probably get bored of these.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:23 PM
FitDay Member

It looks very good this TurboJam.
Fast moves including all body which is very powerful way to pump up your heart rate to the level you want. They also have different clips so you can choose which one is the best for you or you can just mix them up.
It looks like it will help to lose fat and still keep all the muscles. Which is often problem when doing only lots of cardio...

Regards, Rokku
Old 12-04-2011, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

I have lots of TJ dvds and love love love them. I've done other programs from beachbody too (slim in six, insanity, power90, p90x) and always go back to the turbojam when I want something fun to mix up my routine. I eventually moved from turbojam to slim in six, then power90 (which is a precursor program to p90x). I had friends who already had p90x, so I did a couple rounds of that, then challenged myself with their Insanity program. Every program is different and you have to find one that will help you achieve the results you're looking for.

Now I sound like some promotional junkie, but I promise I'm just someone who's had lots of success with those programs. Not to mention they're fun and now that I have so many dvds, I can pick and choose, mix in some running or swimming, or whatever strikes my fancy. Hope you enjoy them!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:18 AM
FitDay Member

Still doing it and love it and the results...not losing a lot of weight but inches are falling off. Makes me feel great!!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 PM
FitDay Member

It's great to hear everyone is being successful! wannabefit, which program do you recommend after tj? I think slim in 6 isn't as challenging and doesn't burn as many calories/min. Do you prefer p90x or insanity? Also, do you do strength training on the side with these dvds?
Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 AM
FitDay Member

I think I did slim in 6 (SI6) after TJ to be honest. I know it seems a little 80s aerobic workout and the trainer is not my favorite, but judging from how sore my legs always were, I knew it was working. I still do the video here and there (the long video, burn it up, that is). I particularly like it because it is an overall body workout, the band work helps with upper body and there's tons of lunges which do really make me sweat.

I think after that, I got the p90x videos from a friend and tried to do that. I'd do it a couple weeks and always quit. I ended up getting Power 90 (which is basically the precursor to p90x-which is short for Power 90 Extreme). In P90, you do a cardio/abs video one day and lift weights the next. You alternate these two videos for up to 3 weeks, then switch to the next level of videos and do the same alternating of cardio and weights for up to another 3 weeks. I'll admit that the next level is really just a longer version of the easier level. I do get a good sweat on, but at this point, I only mix those in when I know I need to workout but want something that is relatively easy. At the time, I really did feel like it helped me gear up for p90x though.

I'd say if you don't mind being sore, go for p90x. I love Tony Horton and even though I know the same corny wisecracks are coming in the videos, I still laugh at them every time. Not sure if you know how it's set up, but you do a series of workouts for 3 weeks (alternating cardio and weights), take a rest week where you don't lift any weights, then do a new cycle of workouts another 3 weeks; another break, etc. Like I said, I was taken to a whole new level of muscle soreness, but if you can push through that for the first week or two of each cycle until your body adapts, you'll be fine. I did two rounds of p90x back-to-back and was in the best shape of my life. I tried insanity after that, but really didn't love it (it's really really hard!). Then I tried doing a p90x/insanity combo where I did the p90x weight lifting dvds and swapped out the p90x cardio for insanity videos. That was better, but I was really pounding my body every single day and felt pretty wiped out after a couple weeks. I'd never suggest anyone just dive right into insanity without getting in shape some other way first.

In total, from the time I started working out in the summer of 2008 I've lost 60 pounds and went from a size 18 to a size 8. To maintain, I go running a lot and do a homemade combo of all the dvds I have. I just keep it fun now. Exercise has never been the hard part for me...it's eating well, so i have to spend more time and energy on keeping my eating habits healthy.

Hope that gives you some good information. Sorry I took so long to get back to the forums (work full time and am a part time graduate student...finals are next week!). I did just buy some new running shoes and am anxious to try them out tomorrow morning! Happy Holidays to you all.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

oh, one more P.S. to add...I started doing workouts twice a day at some point ( I think about the time I got serious with p90x). But in general, I add in extra cardio. I try to lift weights only every other day, and if I do happen to do weights on back-to-back days, I at least try to work separate parts of the body (upper one day, lower the next). Sometimes it depends on how intense that workout is and whether I'm sore, but I do try to let those muscles rest and heal. I also take at least one day off where I'll maybe go for a walk, but if that doesn't happen I don't beat myself up. I learned that rest time is really important.

Anyway, that was all I think. But if you have more questions, I'd be happy to try to address them.