Thread: Atkins
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #261 (permalink)
volleyballgranny
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarapbm View Post
I found my book at a thrift store for 25 cents. That was 8 years ago. I went from 244 pounds to 183 and stayed there for 2 years on a modified low carb eating regimin . Then I got throat cancer and all during the weeks of radiation when I could not eat and the Onco wanted me to gain weight I had an instant breakfast drink full of vanilla ice cream about 5 times a day.

Needless to say in no time I gained back up to 216 and when I felt good again went back on WOE and got down to 163 and stayed there for 6 years. Lately I have been sliding back into my old carb habits and this morning weighed 175. errrrrrrrrr So I know the solution and I'm back on plan, back on fitday and ready to win. For me Atkins is the only way to go.
So sorry to hear about your health roller-coaster! I am on a bit of one myself--microscopic colitis and, now, diabetes (I was hypoglycemic for 32 years). The ANA works--and you can do it. You are welcome to join my facebook group...look for Lo-Carb Fat Camp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscan1 View Post
does anyone out there know why it is that atkins does not seem to work as well the second ot third time around? my first try years ago it seemed like a metabolic meltdown...25 lbs in 4 weeks...i have tried faithfully twice over the last year and first time only lost 3 lbs, then nothing for 3 weeks. second time i lost nothing at all over 3 weeks. is there some reason for this??
It just doesn't. For one thing, we are older and our bodies just do not work as efficiently. We tend to exercise less--either we are busier or our life is more sedentary. I burn a lot fewer calories walking around my classroom than I burned walking to classes at the University of Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbartholomew View Post
Just started yesterday. Any suggestions?
BUY THE BOOK! You can get the latest one, A New Atkins for a New You (NANY), at almost any bookstore (or Wal-Mart, where I bought one of mine). I also bought the Kindle version so that I would always have it with me (on my phone). FITDAY is the best that I've found for keeping the journal--though I do recommend buying the Atkins Journal for the first 120 days--it gives a nutshell version of the Atkins Nutritional Approach (ANA) and has a weekly reflection area that helps you focus on what is going on in your journey.
volleyballgranny is offline   Reply With Quote